What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I Have Created a Map and it is Showing Alerts for sensors it Doesnt have access to

Votes:

I Have a Map that is shown on a wall board, It is set to login with a Specific account that only has access to Certain Things however it is showing alerts for things it doesnt have access to

access-rights maps prtg

Created on Jul 26, 2017 1:51:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

This should be rather simple. There are essentialy two ways that one can view a map:

OPTION 1: LINK TO A WEB PAGE WITH THE MAP THAT REQUIRES LOGIN CREDENTIALS

• Create a link to the following URL(s) and the user will be asked for their login credentials to view the map. The URL will look like:
http://prtgserver/mapshow.htm?id=29877

If you're using Option 1, the Access Rights from the logged-in account will be used to display the map and this user's access rights will apply. This could explain why you're seeing more sensors than expected.

OPTION 2: LINK TO A WEB PAGE THAT DISPLAYS THE MAP WITHOUT A LOGIN

• Use an URL with "mapid-password" (set the Map's "Public Access" setting to "Allow Public Access"). The URL pattern looks like:
http://prtgserver/public/mapshow.htm?id=29877&mapid=05D1D7BD-AD82-4B97-BE62-BE3DC53FA617

If you're using Option 2 on the other hand. The account defined as security context (Settings tab of the map) will be the one in use.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 27, 2017 11:19:55 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I am using Option 1. it just isn't showing the correct access rights.

If I try with another account it shows correctly so I suspect it's the account however if I try to go to one of the unauthorised alerts to view the sensor it says access denied so the permissions must be applying

Created on Jul 27, 2017 11:25:17 AM

Votes:

Are you running PRTG Version 17.2.32 ? If not, please update and check if the issue persists.

Once you are, please raise a new support ticket, as we'll need a couple of screenshots from the issue a support bundle from PRTG to start the investigation.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 28, 2017 7:28:33 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.