What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring the monitoring aka "I'm alive and working fine" status message

Votes:

Monitoring the monitoring... Is there a way to set PRTG to send a status message (kind of I'm alive and working fine) either thru some configurable notification or any other way?

I would like to avoid using PRTG Family tools as based on their disclaimer, they're clearly not ready for productive environments: This application is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. In no event will PRTG Tools Family be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary or consequential damages, including damages for loss of profits, loss or inaccuracy of data, incurred by any person from such person's usage of this application if advised of the possibility of such damages.

alive monitoring-the-monitoring status

Created on Jul 26, 2017 7:37:50 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

I see 4 ways to do this:

1. Get PRTG to monitor a file, have a script delete that file from time to time, then get PRTG to create that file (via a script notification event). Have another script (outside of PRTG) that monitors the age of this file). This tests PRTG is checking, and can perform actions. You might want to have something similar with emails to ensure PRTG can send notifications via email. Its complex.
  2. Just use the API to get the sensor data and check the last entry time. If its more than 5 minutes then you have an issue. This does not test the PRTG can send emails.
  3. Setup up another copy of PRTG to monitor the first copy :)
  4. Buy more D'Link and Netgear equipment, they have such high failure rates that it will cause PRTG to constantly notify you.

Created on Jul 27, 2017 5:08:06 AM

Last change on Jul 27, 2017 8:41:29 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Andrew, thanks for assisting! #4 gave a good laugh ;)

Created on Jul 27, 2017 8:41:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.