What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Hyper-V VM goes down after adding it to my Probe

Votes:

Recently we started using PRTG to monitor our environment. Everything is working fine, and we are learning more and more each day what PRTG has and does for our company.

Only 1 problem is happening when we add a Hyper-V VM into our PRTG environment, it goes down instantly (while it is actually up) for some reason. We tried disabling UAC on the server but that had no effect what so ever.

Any clue why this is happening, and what we can do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick van Ek.

down hyper-v server

Created on Jul 27, 2017 11:10:07 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Patrick,

Are there other VMs on the same Hyper-V host that don't have this issue? Which steps do you take before the VM goes down? You add it to PRTG as device and then what? Do you start an auto-discovery or add sensors manually? Does the VM simply shut down or does it crash? Also check the VM's eventlog, there should be at least some clues why it goes down.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jul 28, 2017 10:00:04 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply Erhard.

The VM itself doesn't go down but it goes down in the PRTG environment. I did check the logs, but it simple says nothing in the message...

• 25-7-2017 09:50:28 R2-PVS01 (op SSD) Down
  • 25-7-2017 09:49:28 R2-PVS01 (op SSD) Warning
  • 25-7-2017 09:49:19 R2-PVS01 (op SSD) Unknown Starting Sensor (results for this sensor type can be delayed for several minutes at system startup. Please wait)
  • 25-7-2017 09:49:19 R2-PVS01 (op SSD) Created See history for details.

We do have the same VM called PVS02 (which is a replicate of the PVS01 (same services)). All the other VMs are working correctly that we've added, except the PVS01..

Created on Jul 28, 2017 10:07:28 AM

Votes:

Sure, you're welcome.

Ah, ok, then I misunderstood something, I thought the whole thing crashes :)

Which sensors are you using there and which error messages do they show?

Created on Jul 28, 2017 10:26:45 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Luckily it doesn't crash the whole thing! The sensor type I'm using is: "Hyper-V Virtual Machine". The Last Message simply says: "Down".

Created on Jul 28, 2017 10:29:14 AM

Votes:

Ok, please send me screenshots showing the sensor's "Overview" and "Settings" tab ([email protected], mention (Case PAE901234) in the subject).

Furthermore please enable Write result to disk in the sensor's Settings tab. With the next scan it will write one or several result-files into C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors) of your PRTG server (or on the Remote Probe if applicable). All files have the sensor's numeric ID in their filenames. The sensor ID can be found on the sensor's Overview tab. Please send me those result-files too.
Note: In case you've configured a different data-path in PRTG Administration Tool, you need to look there for subfolder "Logs (Sensors)".

Last but not least please follow these steps which will generate additional logs:

1. Within PRTG head to Setup > System Administration > Administrative Tools and press button "Write Probe Status Files".
  2. To upload the Probe State files and the PRTG system logs to our FTP server, open PRTG Administration Tool on the responsible probe system and use the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on tab "Logs and Infos".
  3. Make sure to enter this ticket's id there (PAE901234) before uploading.

Thank you.

Created on Jul 28, 2017 10:50:21 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.