What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor a LAG as a single interface

Votes:

We use a number of LAG connections on our switches and I want to be able to track bandwidth use in real time of the LAG, not the individual ports that make up the LAG. I have checked our hardware vendors and they do not have a custom MIB to do SNMP Traffic of a LAG. Is there a way to combine two SNMP Traffic sensors into one so I can see the actual traffic?

snmp snmp-traffic snmp-traffic-sensors

Created on Jul 30, 2017 4:51:34 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,
thank your for your KB-Post.

Some devices will create an virtual interfaces for the LAG that shows up in the ifTable/ifXTable, which the default "SNMP Traffic Sensor" polls. If that does't work for you, you can use a different approach.

If you have two individual sensors for traffic, you can use the Sensor Factory sensor to aggregate the data from these two sensors into a 3rd sensor. Please have a look here:

The definition will look somewhat like this(with the corresponding sensor ids from your sensors) :

#1:Traffic Total
Channel(4063,-1)+Channel(4064,-1)
#2:Traffic IN
Channel(4063,0)+Channel(4064,0)
#3:Traffic OUT
Channel(4063,1)+Channel(4064,1)

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 31, 2017 8:19:27 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.