What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Migrate one sensor group to new core server

Votes:

Hello, we are migrating a large number of users from our main PRTG server to a secondary. This is necessitating the movement of well over 1000 devices and subsequently more than 16000 sensors. Please tell me there is a way to copy the right program data folders to the new host and deploy them into the new host. Adding these sensors in again is going to take my entire team months

migration programdata sensors-move

Created on Aug 1, 2017 10:17:18 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear samuelma

Please clarify: Do you want to migrate to a new (still empty) core server, or merge a part of the existing sensors with another core server?

The latter is not possible. The migration of an entire configuration on the other hand is detailed here.

Since merging with an exiting core server is not possible, you can at least half-automate the process using device templates to quickly re-create the sensors on the other server. However, existing historic sensor data cannot be merged.

Created on Aug 1, 2017 7:25:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

I was indeed talking about the latter, i have successfully migrated to empty servers before and i must say you guys have made it very simple :)

Regarding migrating to an existing server with probes already on it, do you know why this is not possible? Im assuming the numbered folders in programdata\Paessler correlate to device IDs in a database that is used by the core server. I'm willing to put a fair few days of effort into making this possible if it may be successful, as a large part of my job over the upcoming months is moving around 60k sensors between servers, automation of this would be HUGELY advantageous even if it requires a lot of pre-move research and some complex editing file structures.

Thanks for your help Samuel

Created on Aug 2, 2017 6:49:51 AM

Votes:

Dear Samuel

The sensor configuration is stored in a single file, "PRTG Configuration.dat". It is not possible to merge two of those files.

One of the reason is that this would be complicated as object IDs would have to be re-enumerated, and the according files renamed as well, and changed as well (as the data is one file per device, so the sensor IDs inside those files would have to be changed as well.)

Because of this, it is not possible to manually merge either. The only real (kind-of) solution is: Re-create the sensors on the new server using device templates. For the old data, keep the old server for the time being. It can be changed to a trial/freeware license. While limited to 100 active sensors, existing data can still be reported.

This is not an elegant solution as there is the hard cut (you cannot report on data spread over multiple PRTG core servers) but it is a solution which means you are not losing data.

Created on Aug 2, 2017 12:26:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.