What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Expiry limit for SSL Certificate Sensor

Votes:

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/ssl_certificate_sensor describes the sensor has having;

Days to expiration (with predefined lower warning and error limits) However I cannot find any documentation of what these predefined limits are, if they do exist.

All my SSL sensors show "Days to Expiration" as green all the way down to 0 days, which makes me concerned that qthere is no lower limit.

I can obviously manually set a warning and error limit on each and every sensor, but I'd rather not have to edit individual sensors.

Alternatively I could look at customising the OVL file, but there's no prtg.standardlookups.sslcertificatesensor.*.ovl file for expiration (and if the sensor handles it then why would I?).

How many days until expiry will this sensor warn and when will it error?

Thanks

http-ssl-certificate-expiry prtg sensor

Created on Aug 2, 2017 5:14:47 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello jase72,

You are right, the sensor currently does not have those mentioned predefined limits when adding it. They are not based on lookups as the "Days to Expiration" channel does not use lookups, just simple limits in its channel settings. I need to address this to development to clarify if it's intended now to be this way and documentation needs to be revised or if the default limits should indeed be and it needs to be fixed.

What you can do meanwhile is setting limits as desired in your SSL Certificate sensors. You could list all SSL Certificate sensors through "Sensors | By Type | S... | SSL Certificate" and then use Multi-Edit to bulk edit the limits for the channel in all sensors.

If I recall correctly the default limits were

• Lower Warning Limit: 28
  • Lower Error Limit: 7

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 2, 2017 7:07:11 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just found out it was already addressed internally and will be fixed in an upcoming update. I would recommend adjusting the limits of the already existing sensors anyway as I would not expect that the update will apply those limits to existing sensors, only when adding new SSL Certificate sensors.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 2, 2017 7:22:08 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.