What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

'Library' access to 'packet loss' channel of ping sensors under Notifications

Votes:

Hello.

I have created a Library to gather ping sensors for packet loss notification.

Library -> Add Library -> Library name: "ping packet loss"

I dragged and dropped the Local Probe to the Library's tree and editted it to display only Ping sensor types.

Now that I have all the ping sensors, I went to the Notifications tab in the Library to add a treshhold trigger to send a notification when the 'packet loss' channel is higher than 10% of any of the ping sensors under the Library.

To my surprise the only available channels are 'Primary' and 'Total'.

When I open a ping sensor individually, under the Notification tab I can select 'Ping time (ms)', 'Maximum (ms)', 'Minimum (ms)' and 'Packet Loss (%)'.

The only alternative I see is going into each ping sensor manually and setting the Notification individually since Multi-Edit cannot create Notifications.

Is it possible to access additional channels in a Library if the sensors are of the same type like in my case? Going into each ping sensor would be cumbersome to set the same notification.

Thank you.

library notifications ping

Created on Aug 4, 2017 12:00:19 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear zimehiwaw

A sensor library can be used to add notifications, but other than the sensor status, only the primary channel can be used here. Either you change all those primary channels (which is however also not available via multi-edit) or add a notification on each sensor.

An alternative would be to instead edit the limits for this channel (this can be done with multi-edit) and using a state trigger.

Created on Aug 4, 2017 7:40:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.