What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Logging in to WMI in a non-domain network

Votes:

Hi,

I am using PRTG in an environment without a Windows Domain. Right now I have a very successful Test Setup and what I am trying to do is get the PRTG to log in to the "server" pc so I can monitor all .exe files that I need to have running there. Sadly I fail. I have started the Remote Registry service and I know the exact credentials of the Admin account (computername\useraccountname and the password). But no success.

Can you provide any help what I am missing?

I am using Windows 10 as PRTG Server (for testing even Firewall disabled). PRTG machine is the same that is running the other credential services. So basically PRTG can not WMI log in to it's own host.

process-monitoring windows wmi

Created on Aug 4, 2017 6:22:15 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hi HtHNightwolf,

Did you check our WMI Guide already? Especially configuring permissions and
group memberships is important here, even when using an administrator.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 7, 2017 7:55:51 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 7, 2017 7:55:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yew I did. Unfortunately Microsoft removed the user&group management in Win10 Home so adding the monitoring user to all groups can not be done. It was all there in Win 8.1 thanks to Microsoft. I am stuck with this OS because it is fixed on an Arduino device.

Created on Aug 7, 2017 4:06:28 PM

Votes:

Hi,

It lacks the user management, yes. Been there, suffered from that, tried everything, had enough, upgraded to Win 10 Pro. Is it possible for you to change the serial of the installation? If not, SNMP monitoring might be the way to go here...

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 8, 2017 8:26:59 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I have Pro Keys for Win10 here. Is it that simple, just enter a new one and it magically "becomes" pro? Would I need command line code to upgrade to a new key?

Could you provide any information for me, please? For several more reasons upgrading to Pro seems the best solution.

Created on Aug 8, 2017 9:13:18 AM

Votes:

Yes, it should be that simple. Run this command in an elevated command line, XXXX being the key: slmgr -ipk XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

It should upgrade and run some feature installing afterwards. What Arduino device are you using?

Created on Aug 8, 2017 10:05:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well that worked. I am at Win 10 Pro now, many thanks!

I was able to complete all steps in the WMI Guide but still, i seem unable to authenticate myself at the PC using WMI. Is there any more detailed troubleshooting / log that I can go through? Any other ideas?

Created on Aug 8, 2017 10:20:40 PM

Votes:

Cool :) What exact sensor are you using (i.e. trying to create)? Then we could issue the command in a PowerShell to see if we're able to query the WMI manually with these credentials using the WMI Tester.

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 9, 2017 8:35:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I do not know which sensor does the job best but I think Windows Process Sensor is suited. Even though I did not find it in the PRTG ;) All I need to do is monitor a running Process. Like a running .exe file with a GUI (so I sadly cannot run it as a service and use SNMP). As far as I understood, WMI sensord can do that --> monitor a PID. But I have to admit I am not that experienced with monitoring in general.

As I said, right now it does not matter what I wanna do woth WMI because every WMI monitor that I create delivers no data (so I think it can not log in to the computer). Even though I went through the WMI step-by-step guide.

Created on Aug 9, 2017 8:48:57 PM

Votes:

Could you check out the WMI Tester's Advanced Tab, especially the processes query to see if that works? Use localhost, a dot or workgroup as a domain. Make sure to enter corresponding credentials in the "Basic" tab. Does that give any results?

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 10, 2017 6:11:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Only entering Domain: . and Computername: localhost and leaving username + password blank results in "80041064: The user specified a username/password/authority on a local connection. The user must use a blank username/password and rely on default security."

Unfortunately entering a valid username + password provides the same error message.

So I re-checked. In reality Computer name is "Lattepanda" Workgroup is "WORKGROUP" Username that I used is "Server"

I then corrected what you told me and used lattepanda as Domain, not workgroup (after all it is the logon domain, not the workgroup there) but the error remained. I should not use username + password prompt the tool.

Then I switched to Domain: "lattepanda", Computername: "127.0.0.1" and left username and Password blank. With this setup I got "800700E: Not enough storage is available to compete this operation."

It is hard to do a self-diagnose because the tool says the opposite of what you say. It forces me to leave username + password blank where you say I should enter valid credentials.

Created on Aug 10, 2017 12:21:45 PM

Votes:

I guess the easiest way would be to install a remote probe on the given host.... :/

Created on Aug 10, 2017 1:43:46 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.