What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Not receiving Netflow from Mikrotik

Votes:

Hi There My sensor setup for Netflow from my Mikrotik router still show as: No data since startup :(

The timeout is set to 6 minutes on PRTG side and 5 minutes on Mikrotik side. Set to port 2055 UDP, which is allowed on Windows firewall and Mikrotik firewall. Both are using Netflow 9

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

mikrotik netflow netflow-v9

Created on Aug 10, 2017 8:25:12 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Have you configured a "Sender IP" in the sensor's settings? Pause the sensor and run our NetFlow Tester on the PRTG server or remote probe that's supposed to receive the flows. Does it show incoming flow data and decoded flows? Make sure that the IP you see matches what you have configured in the sensor, otherwise the sensor disregards the data.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 10, 2017 3:12:37 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. Nope no incomning flow data using the NetFlow Tester on the PRTG server :(

Meaning sending side issue I guess....

Although I can't see anything wrong on my Mikrotik side. The Netflow target from Mikrotik is set to: Enabled Src. Address 10.255.x.x Dst. Address 10.255.x.x Port 2055 Version v9 /IPFIX Template Refresh 20 v9/IPFIX Template Timeout 1800

Source and destination match up on Mikrotik and PRTG Sensor.

Created on Aug 11, 2017 12:32:46 PM

Votes:

Ok, send us a screenshot of how it looks in NetFlow Tester. I believe you've also sent us an email about the issue, where I also wrote to send us the screenshot in case you need further assistance. We'd like to see if it does not show anything at all or if there are entries about unassigned flows and alike. If all fails, let Wireshark run on the probe where the flows should be received to see if they are coming in at all.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 11, 2017 1:37:33 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the response.

Netflow tester shows nothing, no unassigned flows. dead. Wireshark is receiving nothing on that port (2055) while running on the sensor machine.

So it's definitely sending side aka router.

Have you had any customers with Mikrotik routers with similar issues?

Definitely nothing blocking the traffic, I think it's not being sent in the first place.

Created on Aug 14, 2017 8:43:27 AM

Votes:

In this case I would recommend contacting the vendor as it is some configuration issue perhaps. Generally we had over time cases with Mikrotik routers, see here for example, but it was never an issue of no flows coming in at all, so I suspect something's not right with how NetFlow export is configured.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 14, 2017 10:20:22 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.