What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitor if a file with a specific pattern exists at a specific time of day

Votes:

hi! I need to find a solution for the following requirement: We should monitor - specific folders with the pattern: <servername>\AD\<location shortcut>\Import\ - in which daily at 01:30 am a file should be created - with the following pattern: <location shortcut><date>.csv - if this file isn't created till 02:30 am an email should be sent

<servername> is a FQDN and date format is: YYYYMMDD

Is this possible with PRTG and can someone help me with this challenge - as I'm not so skilled yet?

Thanks in advance!

Schitti

file-monitoring filesensor folder-sensor prtg

Created on Aug 17, 2017 8:26:40 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Schitti,

While it is possible to configure a sensor to scan at certain points in time, I currently don't see how to fulfill all the requirements with the "standard" sensors. I mean you can sure use a Folder sensor for example to look for a specific file. It can be set to error when it does not find the file, but it cannot further make decisions like the file is not there at 01:30, that may be ok, but when it's not there an hour later, then it's an error.

The only way to handle this might be using a custom script that handles all the checks, comparisons etc. and in the end only passes along a result to an EXE/Script Sensor that runs the script, which then will reflect that all is fine or there is an error.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 18, 2017 12:43:32 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thank you! ;)

Created on Aug 18, 2017 12:49:08 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.