What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Oracle sensor for proxied server

Votes:

I'm not sure if this is supported. I am running a server which connects to an external Oracle database via VPN and use the Oracle Connection Manager feature to route requests from my internal Oracle server to the external Oracle database. Illustrated:

client requests database => connects to internal relay server internal relay server => relay server routes to remote Oracle database internal relay server <= remote Oracle database routes back client <= internal relay server sends request back to client

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/network.111/b28316/cman.htm

How can I poll to make sure this relay server has a stable connection to the remote Oracle database? The VPN client on this relay server is not extremely reliable and often disconnects off peak hours so my clients start to fail until I can go back on the server and re-establish the connection.

I don't see anywhere in PRTG to enter a connection string I enter in most of my applications utilizing this server. An example would be:

(DESCRIPTION=(SOURCE_ROUTE=yes)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=internal.oracle.connection.manager)(PORT=1522))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=remote.oracle.database)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=SC021)))

Is there any way I can use PRTG to verify that a client can connect to this remote database? Can I install the Oracle client on the PRTG server and try to connect like a normal client?

database oracle vpn

Created on Aug 27, 2017 7:51:36 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear sheppardzw,

Thank you very much for your knowledge base post.

To monitor the VPN connection, I'd suggest to deploy a Remote Probe in the remote LAN. It will already be sufficient to checks the stability and performance of the VPN.

Can I install the Oracle client on the PRTG server and try to connect like a normal client?

The approach goes in the right direction, install the Oracle client on a PRTG Probe and consider the use of a PRTG Custom Sensor that checks the success of a query against the database. You'll need to make sure the output can be interpreted by PRTG successfully. Please find further information regarding the expected output within PRTG under Setup | PRTG API | Custom Sensors and within the following kb articles:

Created on Aug 28, 2017 12:30:54 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.