What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor Active Directory replication partners

Votes:

To determine if there is a replication issue in Active Directory we use the following command:

repadmin.exe /showrepl domain.tld | FINDSTR /R /I /C:"fail" >NUL && ECHO 2:Error || ECHO 0:OK

This will output 2:Error when "fail" is in the output of FINDSTR. Problem is that using this in PRTG is always shows 0:OK. This command works fine when running this from the command line.

active-directory batch custom-sensor repadmin replication showrepl

Created on Aug 5, 2010 12:50:43 PM

Last change on Aug 19, 2010 12:28:13 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor is included in PRTG as of version 8.3. For details, please see PRTG Manual: Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor.

Created on Mar 25, 2013 2:59:31 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 5, 2013 4:03:34 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Please keep in mind that by default the PRTG Probe Service uses the "SYSTEM" account to perform monitoring tasks. Could it be that your commands do not work for the SYSTEM account (it does not allow UI for EXEs)

Created on Aug 6, 2010 7:40:47 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

For monitoring we use an Active Directory account. This account is member of Domain Admins.

Created on Aug 9, 2010 7:33:40 AM

Votes:

PTF ADSReplFailures

With Custom Sensor PTF ADSReplFailures you can check your domain controllers for replication errors.

This sensor gets the number of replication errors reported by the domain controllers.

-u=username -p=password|passhash -d=domain name

-u=username        The name of the user account that can access the domain replication
-p=password        The password or passhash(*) of the user account that can access the domain replication  
-d=domain name     The Full Qualified Domain Name.

The Custom Sensor can be downloaded from this page.

Created on Aug 19, 2010 12:26:57 PM

Last change on Nov 24, 2015 1:03:27 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thank you Gerard for your time to create a Custom Sensor for my request. Unfortunately I get "Replication access was denied" when using this sensor.

Created on Aug 20, 2010 7:30:08 AM

Votes:

Hi Martin,

This is fixed in version 1.0.2 of the sensor.

I added parameters for username and password of an account that has access to the AD replication.

Also running the sensor from a cmd window will give you information now on what domaincontroller reported an error.

Created on Aug 20, 2010 12:49:37 PM

Last change on Aug 20, 2010 1:20:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is a couple of months old now, but I have a script which you might find useful, too. Basically, it's a vbs script which uses the output of DCDIAG to determine if AD is functioning correctly. It's based off a Nagios script, and it seems to work quite well. If you are interested I'll see if I can send it to you.

Created on Dec 27, 2010 5:59:25 AM

Last change on Jan 3, 2011 2:57:12 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor is included in PRTG as of version 8.3. For details, please see PRTG Manual: Active Directory Replication Errors Sensor.

Created on Mar 25, 2013 2:59:31 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 5, 2013 4:03:34 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.