What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Push Custom Sensors to Remote Probes

Votes:

Hello,

Is there a way to push a custom sensor to some or all Remote Probes?

I'm creating a powershell script to return the value of the primary and secondary DNS on a given system (we have some problems with unknown employees thinking that Google's DNS servers would be a good ting on domain controllers).

Script is working well, however since this is executing a WMI request, the script must be placed on each server where this is required, meaning that I have to manually copy the script to a lot of different systems.

What are my options?

custom-sensor push remote-probe wmi

Created on Sep 7, 2017 9:24:00 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Martin, we appreciate your contact.

If you wish to synchronize custom-sensors to your remote probes you could use something like a subversion software to synchronize the content of the C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\ across remote Probes. PRTG does not to this natively since this may not always be desired.

There's actually quite a lot of software that you could use for this:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 7, 2017 11:07:01 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

Thanks for the reply, that is of course an option, however we are an hosting company and all of our various Remote Probe installations are on different systems with different domains and credentials.

So for this to work I would still need to access every system to setup the synchronization, and again if I need to change anything - I was hoping for some kind of centralized solution on the PRTG Master, now that all of the systems is already connected to this through their respective Remote Probes.

So as I understand you, it is not possible to create any kind of sensor on the PRTG Master server, which can be used/accessed by the RemoteProbe servers?, all sensor scripts must be copied to each server individually?

Created on Sep 7, 2017 11:20:08 AM

Last change on Sep 7, 2017 11:47:03 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Martin, thank you for your reply.

Yes, you will need to access every single remote probe to configure this 3rd party software once at least. Or maybe you're able to create a MSI/batch and to at least partially automate this task.

But your understanding is correct. On every PRTG System (Core or Probe) there is a standalone Custom Sensors folder that is specific to the probe. Only "standard" sensors and scripts are present at all remote probes, since they are distributed in the remote probe installer, but no other files are synced via the core/probe connection.

Doing this would cause additional overhead/bandwidth utilization in the connection and some customers may not want this behavior, other will only want to sync specific folders or file types. There's a lot of software out there that is far more specialized for this kind of file synchronization, it's not something that we want develop and maintain ourselves, we would rather focus on the PRTG part of things. :)

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 7, 2017 11:53:51 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.