What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Maps - Top Ten Channel view

Votes:

I would like to setup a map view that will show the top ten results for a Channel over a group of sensors. In this, I am monitoring a vCenter cluster and I would like to see the top ten CPU Ready channels across the whole vCenter cluster.

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this?

channel maps top-10

Created on Sep 8, 2017 7:16:36 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you very much! I made a few changes to the display since I didnt need the ProbeGroup to show, and I wanted the top10 name to show correctly.

For reference:

<!--Top 10: VMware CPU Ready-->

<div class="map_object map_table" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:auto;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
<#mapobject type="objectgrip" mode="<@editmode>">
<#mapobject type="htmlbefore" subid="<@subid>">
<#checkobjecttype objecttype="probenode,group,device" nicemessage="true" id="<@objectid>">

<div class="top10listcontainer" style="overflow:hidden">
			<#lang key="html.mapobjects.top10cpusready.tabletitle" default="Top 10: CPU Ready (@@@@)" var="tabletitle">
			<#table tableid="sensortable"
					   content="sensors"
					   columns="lastvalue,sensor"
					   sortby="-lastvalue"
					   sortable="false"
					   refreshable="false"
					   filter_tags="@tag(<@tagfilterstring> %2b_CPUReady_)"
					   filter_status="3"
					   filter_status="4"
					   filter_status="5"
					   filter_status="10"
					   filter_status="13"
					   filter_status="14"
					   infoheader="false"
					   links="false"
					   count="10"
					   varexpand="tabletitle"
					   tabletitle="@tabletitle"
					   id="<@objectid>">
			</div>

<#mapobject type="htmlafter" subid="<@subid>">
</div>

As your notes stated, once I change the tagging and the default channel view, it worked perfect! Thank you very much.

Created on Sep 12, 2017 5:04:46 PM

Last change on Sep 12, 2017 7:56:35 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB-Post. Can you give me the exact Map Object that you want to use? The sensor is the "VMWare Host Hardware Performance"-Sensor, right?

best regards.

Created on Sep 11, 2017 11:00:28 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would not mind the Host Hardware Performance sensor as well, but I am more concerned with the CPU Ready numbers of each VM that is running in out vCenter environment.

I do not have an exact Map Object, that is why I am reaching out, but I would like to use some type of Top10 list, much like the top 10 slowest ping.

Created on Sep 11, 2017 3:37:23 PM

Votes:

Please check out the "Top 10"-Lists in the map objects. These should come close to what you are looking for. The next bit would be to customise one of them, by creating a copy of its underlying html-file. You'll find this in the

\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\mapobjects\

folder of the PRTG program directory.

I've taken the Top 10 most used CPU Sensors here:

<div class="map_object map_table" id="<@itemid>" objectid="<@objectid>" subid="<@subid>" style="overflow:auto;<#mapobject type="coordinates" subid="<@subid>" mode="<@editmode>">">
<#checkobjecttype objecttype="probenode,group,device" nicemessage="true" id="<@objectid>">

<#lang key="html.mapobjects.top10cpusmostused.tabletitle" default="Top 10: Most Used CPUs (@@@@)" var="tabletitle">
					   content="sensors"
					   columns="lastvalue,sensor,probegroupdevice"
					   sortby="-lastvalue"
					   sortable="false"
					   refreshable="false"
					   filter_status="3"
					   filter_status="4"
					   filter_status="5"
					   filter_status="10"
					   filter_status="13"
					   filter_status="14"
					   infoheader="false"
					   links="false"
					   count="10"
					   varexpand="tabletitle"
					   tabletitle="@tabletitle"
					   id="<@objectid>">
			</div>

</div>

A few things that you will need to watch out for:

1. Change the name of the map object in the first line, otherwise it will not appear in the map editor.
  2. Make sure that the CPU Ready channel is the primary channel on the according VMware Sensors, because the Top 10 list map objects will only display the value of the primary channel, and more importantly, their sorting works accordingly to the primary channel.
  3. Either use the default sensor type tag or create a custom tag on all CPU Ready sensors, for the map object to only use those sensors (_CPUReady_ in the example above, which needs to be replaced then.)
  4. After creating your own map object, restart the PRTG Core server, then it should appear in the list of map objects.

Created on Sep 12, 2017 7:33:45 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thank you very much! I made a few changes to the display since I didnt need the ProbeGroup to show, and I wanted the top10 name to show correctly.

For reference:

<#lang key="html.mapobjects.top10cpusready.tabletitle" default="Top 10: CPU Ready (@@@@)" var="tabletitle">
					   content="sensors"
					   columns="lastvalue,sensor"
					   sortby="-lastvalue"
					   sortable="false"
					   refreshable="false"
					   filter_status="3"
					   filter_status="4"
					   filter_status="5"
					   filter_status="10"
					   filter_status="13"
					   filter_status="14"
					   infoheader="false"
					   links="false"
					   count="10"
					   varexpand="tabletitle"
					   tabletitle="@tabletitle"
					   id="<@objectid>">
			</div>

</div>

As your notes stated, once I change the tagging and the default channel view, it worked perfect! Thank you very much.

Created on Sep 12, 2017 5:04:46 PM

Last change on Sep 12, 2017 7:56:35 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I'm looking for a similar map-object but with the "VMWare Host Hardware Performance" sensor, like Torsten Lindner asked previously. Is there something that can be used?

We have multiple esxi hosts and I like to show some channel values within a top 10 list (one value per esxi per table/ multiple esxi Sensors with only one of the possible channel values per table) so we can see which esxi host needs attention.

Many thanks in advance.

Created on Nov 23, 2017 3:45:50 PM

Votes:

Hello Jacqueline,

You can apply the same procedure as outlined by Torsten to almost any sensor. Take one of the exiting Top10 objects as mentioned by Torsten and create an adjusted version carrying the tag of the sensors you'd like to have in it. Keep in mind that the table only shows "Last Value", which is always the value of the primary channel, so you need to make sure to have the channel you want to see in the table set as primary.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 24, 2017 1:13:52 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

thank you for your reply. Is it only possible to get the primary channel in the Top10 table? The "VMWare Host Hardware Performance"-Sensor got some channels that i like to show on a Top10 table, like Memory consumed (%), CPU usage and Disk usage.

Is there a way without multiplying the Sensor and set the needed Channels as primary (one sensor for each needed channel)?

Many thanks in advance.

Created on Nov 27, 2017 10:22:58 AM

Votes:

Hello Jacqueline,

Yes, it's primary channel only I'm afraid, every workaround would sooner or later end up with sensor duplicates.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 27, 2017 12:34:08 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello PRTG, Hello Torsten,

I recently opened a ticket [#2388511] because of the Top10 List is lacking of Traffic Sensors with an different primary channel as "Sum".

Torsten has posted:

• "Make sure that the CPU Ready channel is the primary channel on the according VMware Sensors, because the Top 10 list map objects will only display the value of the primary channel, and more importantly, their sorting works accordingly to the primary channel." --> But for Bandwith Usage this does not seem to be the same, as sensors with primary channel "outgoing" do not appear in the Top10 List.

Is there any way to generate a Top10 list that displays all traffic sensors regardless of the primary channel with the channel "sum" or with the respective primary channel in the Top10 list?

If needed I could open a separate Topic, if the problem could not be solved by support ticket or in this KB topic.

Thanks and kind regards

Robert

Created on Mar 13, 2023 7:33:27 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I am afraid that is not possible with the current reporting engine.

Created on Mar 15, 2023 3:38:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.