What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Folder sensors to the same host works for some shares and not others???

Votes:

Hi All

I have set up a lot of folder against our inhouse fileservers. These are used for accounting against our clients. We basically have one server with one share for each client, and another server with two shares for each client. I've so far set it up for around 20 clients. The credentials are inhereted from root for all the clients groups, so they all use the same credentials. The folder sensors inheret the interval from the device. The user used is a Domain Admin. Check interval is set to 6 hours.

It works for most of the folders. A few of the folder sensors fail. I mostly get this error: Logon failure: Connection in use (code: PE029). Which as I can see refers to multiple logins with different credentials, but as the user is inherited, I don't think that's the case. I've gone all the way up through the hierachy, just to check that no other credentials has been entered. I've also made sure that the folder name doesn't start with anything else than the sharename, no slashes or back-slashes or the likes.

error folder smb

Created on Sep 12, 2017 11:46:39 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Try restarting PRTG (or the remote probe in case the sensor is on a remote probe) to see if that clears the error. If not, check with compmgmt.msc on the target host for open sessions and clear them manually to see if that helps as the amount of simultaneously open sessions is restricted by Windows.

Further troubleshooting for monitoring shares also here:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/513-what-can-i-do-if-prtg-doesn-t-succeed-with-monitoring-a-share-pe029-pe032

Best regards.

Created on Sep 13, 2017 10:26:22 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello again I lost the thread, as the notiication went to the spam folder, darned :-)

I've just now found out what was wrong, despite that the user I tested it with, is a domain admin, it didn't have access to see the share, until I explicitely gave the use READ in the Share setting for the folder.

Created on Oct 12, 2017 7:28:56 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.