What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Maps with Sensortype based tables

Votes:

Hi,

I like to show Sensortyp based tables on my maps (Tables for only Ping or CPU, Memory, etc.).

Via libraries we can group Sensortyps together, but there is currently only the possibility to integrate libraries in maps via sunburst or treemap. These views don’t work well for us. So we only use the libraries to get the notifications done.

I created some custom map-objects and this works mostly fine. But I can't get the sorting right. I like to sort by the status of the shown Sensors. All Down Sensors should be on the top, then the Acknowledged Down Sensors, then Warnings and then at last paused Sensors. At the moment my setting is ' sortby="status" ' but this only works if the column status is visible. Is there another way so I can get the sorting I mentioned?

It would be awesome to get an object with status related colors based on the filtered tables I created, to boost the visibility if some entries show up (I excluded sensors with the status "up"). If the backcolor of the table title can chance based on the shown entries, this would be all we need. But I can't figure it out on my own.

Does anyone have a similar situation and maybe a solution or workaround? I am grateful for every tip, Thanks.

customize libraries map-objects maps tags

Created on Sep 12, 2017 4:14:47 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Jacqueline,

In the map's "Settings" tab there's a "Tag Filter" option, which applies to tables, meaning the tables will only show sensors with these tags you selected there. Have you tried that?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 13, 2017 3:38:35 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard, thank you for your advice, I tried it. But it seems that I didn’t make myself clear. I created custom map-objects with the filters I needed. The map based filter option is nice, though. But with the custom map-objects I can get multiple tables with different filters on one map. Like you mentioned the map's based tag filter only applies to tables.

Have you any advice for me regarding my sorting issue or the status related colors based on my tables or tag filters or libraries?

Many thanks in advance.

Created on Sep 14, 2017 2:23:43 PM

Votes:

Hi Jacqueline,

I'll send you an email, requesting the custom map objects to see what we can do about it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 18, 2017 7:09:28 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

after some communication with Erhard we realized that my ideas cannot be realized with the current webserver.

The sorting requires that the sort by column is shown. And sadly the status is sorted by the status id. There is currently no way to get the status sorting the way I described.

ID and status name and current sort order (ascending):

IDSensor State
1Unknown
2Collecting
3Up
4Warning
5Down
6NoProbe
7PausedbyUser
8PausedbyDependency
9PausedbySchedule
10Unusual
11PausedbyLicense
12PausedUntil
13DownAcknowledged
14DownPartial

I also asked if there is a possibility to change the status names ("up" to "ok" and "down" to "critical"), this is also not possible at the moment due to the way the current webserver works.

And also a mapobject with status related colors based on the filtered tables is not possible at the moment.

I'm patiently looking forward to a new webserver.

Created on Oct 5, 2017 10:18:59 AM

Votes:

Thank you for posting the update/outcome, Jacqueline.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Oct 5, 2017 2:58:26 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.