What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor route changes with PRTG?

Votes:

Is there a way to monitor my route path to a destination host to see when it changes?

route-change sensor traceroute

Created on Aug 6, 2010 1:49:48 PM

Last change on Aug 19, 2010 12:29:59 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF TraceRoute

With Custom Sensor PTF TraceRoute you can monitor route changes to a target IP or DNS name.

This sensor performs a trace route to the target and returns the number of hops. With the optional -w and -e switches the sensor can go into a warning or error state if the route has changed, since the last run of the sensor, regardless of the number of hops!

Note: The sensorID parameter has to be an unique value as it is used to store the last trace result. As of PRTG V7.3.2 the %sensorid placeholder is available, so -id=%sensorid will do the trick.

-id=sensorID       The sensorID or other unique identifier.
-t=target          The IP address or hostname of the machine to trace the route to.
-w                 Optional switch to set the sensor in a warning state if the route has changed.
-e                 Optional switch to set the sensor in an error state if the route has changed.

The Custom Sensor can be downloaded from this page.

Created on Aug 19, 2010 12:21:10 PM

15 Replies

Votes:

Dear Eli,

I'm afraid that is not possible with the "out of the box" sensors that come with PRTG.

Best Regards.

Created on Aug 6, 2010 1:53:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You say with "out of the box" sensors.... Can you suggest a way for me to monitor this using your product?

Eli

Created on Aug 6, 2010 2:04:01 PM

Votes:

It might be possible with a custom script sensor.

Created on Aug 6, 2010 2:44:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am trying to work out a similar thing to help some of our guys out. I am trying to replicate the unix Network Weathermap web page that can show you how your spanning tree is configured.

Will let you know what I come up with but don't hold too much hope.

Created on Aug 16, 2010 7:07:33 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PTF TraceRoute

With Custom Sensor PTF TraceRoute you can monitor route changes to a target IP or DNS name.

This sensor performs a trace route to the target and returns the number of hops. With the optional -w and -e switches the sensor can go into a warning or error state if the route has changed, since the last run of the sensor, regardless of the number of hops!

Note: The sensorID parameter has to be an unique value as it is used to store the last trace result. As of PRTG V7.3.2 the %sensorid placeholder is available, so -id=%sensorid will do the trick.

-id=sensorID       The sensorID or other unique identifier.
-t=target          The IP address or hostname of the machine to trace the route to.
-w                 Optional switch to set the sensor in a warning state if the route has changed.
-e                 Optional switch to set the sensor in an error state if the route has changed.

The Custom Sensor can be downloaded from this page.

Created on Aug 19, 2010 12:21:10 PM

Votes:

@Thurmus: You'd be my hero if you can work out STP mapping in PRTG.

Created on Aug 30, 2010 4:39:03 PM

Votes:

Jim,

I ended up doiung a variation on the Weathermap for my guys. It depends what switches you are using and what MIB visibility they give you.

I drew the network map in Visio the same as it appears in the Weathermap. On our switches which are made by GarretCom, we have two fibre ports. Port 13 and 15 for our fibre flat ring. I set up a traffic sensor on each port and unticked every channel except traffic out from being displayed on the graph and the table. Using the GarrettCom MIB's I set up a sensor that displays the STP send port. On the map I put the traffic out for each port over the network link line either above or below the switch and then the current send port to the right of the switch. I am happy to send you a pic if you are interested.

Created on Oct 20, 2010 11:13:14 AM

Votes:

Is this at all available for v 9.1.5.1900 ?

Created on Feb 27, 2012 10:27:42 AM

Votes:

Yes.

Created on Feb 27, 2012 10:46:12 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, but I cannot find the Custom Sensor PTF TraceRoute if I go to the supplied link

http://code.google.com/p/prtg7addons/wiki/CustomSensors

What am I missing ?

Created on Feb 28, 2012 11:35:56 AM

Votes:

Gary, the Trace Route Hop Count Sensor is now integrated in PRTG 9. You do not need to download the Custom Sensor anymore.

Created on Feb 28, 2012 12:29:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten Lindner, Hop Count Sensor is not exactly we all are looking for. Imagine the route has been changed but hop count is the same. The sensor will not change. There is definately a big need to have IPs of hops in historic data and sensor should be aware if the route is changed even if hop count is the same. Is this possible?

Created on Jan 23, 2015 12:52:22 PM

Votes:

The Hop Count Sensor actually notifies if the route changed, even if the count stays the same. Otherwise, you can still do this then with a custom sensor.

Created on Jan 23, 2015 1:34:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Are you sure that this work as you are telling? Who does it knows that the route is changed if it does not store the actual hops? is it possible to store the hop list in historic data?

Created on Jan 23, 2015 1:43:28 PM

Votes:

The route is stored as a temporary file. We cannot store the hops, as these are string values. PRTG can only store numbers for historic monitoring / sensor data.

Created on Jan 23, 2015 1:46:46 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.