What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ricoh printer toner levels

Votes:

When monitoring Ricoh printer toner levels, the responses can be (for MP-C2003 for example):

0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 toner near empty:-100 toner pre-near empty:-100 Bottle or cartridge not set:0 Unknown (cannot measure correctly):unknown(-2)

I'm using a SNMP Custom Advanced sensor to monitor all 4 channels (black, cyan, magenta, yellow). How can I interpret the responses as to show the level in a gauge when its 0-100 (positive level) or an alarm message when its -2 or -100? Is there a way to do it using lookup files?

Thanks and congrats for the wonderful product.

Tales Maschio

levels lookups printer

Created on Sep 17, 2017 1:49:24 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Yes, you can use lookups. How do you define and use them is described on the following site:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/define_lookups

Afterwards you can set it in the channel settings of the according channel.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 18, 2017 10:23:34 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Ok got it working right, thanks for the reply. Now I need to ask you something else.

As you know some printers return the supplies levels in terms of units instead of percentages. In that case another OID will inform the maximum capacity. Let's consider a black toner level of 8000 units for a maximum capacity of 16000. If I define a custom lookup file with a range type lookup like this:

<Range state="Ok" from="4000" to "16000">

the sensor will show me "Ok (8000)" instead of only Ok. I tested this both on SNMP Custom and Custom Advanced sensors.

Is there a way to show only the text defined in the lookup file, and discard the raw value?

Also, the Multiplication and Division won't work when using lookups, is that right? Since the raw value is there, this would be a nice way to get percentages out of a units supply level. The units per se do not make a lot of sense to be displayed on a map, but the percentages would be easier to interpret.

If I choose not to use lookups then the division will work and I can make the sensor show me the percentages, but I'll miss other statuses like -1, -2, -3...

Thanks

Created on Oct 2, 2017 12:23:35 AM

Votes:

Hello thermseeker,

First of all I want you to show the SNMP Printer Sensor. This sensor applies directly to your problem. Maybe a switch would be very helpful for your case and save you some trouble. :)

Nevertheless for your lookup question you can do following: <Range state="Ok" from="4000" to "16000"> Text I want to display </Range>

Hope this helps.

best regards,

Eugen

Created on Oct 2, 2017 11:08:08 AM by  Eugen Wilhelm [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.