What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification group with Active directory

Votes:

Hi,

Recently we've moved all our PRTG-users to Active Directory. Everybody can login with any issues but when I use a AD-group for SMS-notification and the users in that group having SMS set up, they are not getting notified

When I do a test, it doesn't see any users but thos users are member of that AD-group.

Removing that group and adding that group again, won't make any differences.

Can someone help me with this issue ?

Best regards Dave

active-directory ad notifications prtg sms

Created on Sep 19, 2017 5:15:28 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Dave,

The thing with AD groups in PRTG is, that those users need to log in at least once in PRTG with their AD credentials in order for the user accounts to be created. They won't appear automatically after adding the AD group, there is no syncing. Once the users exist, open the user in PRTG (Setup | System Administration | User Accounts) and check the user's "Notification Contacts" tab to verify if the SMS number has also been pulled and add it manually if needed.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 19, 2017 8:34:37 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

The thing is, that the users do exist in the group, but if I place that user in another AD-group and when I log in as that user, the rights of the previous group still applied instead of the new group.

can you explain that somehow ? Maybe I can send some logs wheren you can figure out what is not working correctly ?

Also notification contacts are correctly setup. I've added the phonenumber manually but its coppied from a working user with SMS notification

Created on Sep 19, 2017 8:41:26 AM

Votes:

Hi Dave,

Try deleting the user manually from the old group, then log in again with the AD credentials to see to which group the user gets assigned then. It might pose an issue though when you have for example two AD groups in PRTG and a user is a member of both groups in the AD. Depending on the AD's response during the login, it cannot really be foreseen to which group the user gets assigned then. Ideally the group memberships should be "exclusive"., meaning the user is either member of group A or group B in order to have them clearly separated.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 19, 2017 9:14:44 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well, I also think that it can take a while untill PRTG is "synchronizing" settings or looking for settings. This morning, SMS notification didn't work because the user was not seen by PRTG, but now it is seen and also working.

Is there some trigger time that it looks and checks the AD ?

Created on Sep 19, 2017 10:17:11 AM

Votes:

Hi Dave,

AD requests are cached for one hour in PRTG, so there is indeed a "delay" until PRTG "takes notice" of AD changes like changed passwords and alike.

See also Active Directory Integration.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 20, 2017 8:41:36 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.