What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IMAP Port on Cisco Switches

Votes:

When I run an auto discovery on the various Cisco Catalyst switches we have in production (3560, 3560G, 3560X, 3750, 2960, etc.) they typically come up with an IMAP monitor. While I can easily delete this sensor, it comes back the next time an auto discovery is run. I've found I have to pause the sensor.

Is there any way to stop this from being discovered? We like to check switches weekly for new ports that may have been enabled or port names that have changed.

Does anyone know why the switch appears to be running an IMAP server (or something else on that port)?

auto-discovery cisco cisco-switch imap

Created on Sep 20, 2017 8:40:43 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

I assume that you use the detailed auto-discovery which discovers everything possible. Please use the "Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s)" option and choose the corresponding templates such as the "Switch.." Templates and "SNMP.." Templates.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 21, 2017 10:48:39 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dariusz:

Thanks for that pointer. I have made numerous auto-discovery templates, but didn't think to use one in this situation!

Created on Sep 21, 2017 11:53:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.