What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Forwarding to internal IP

Votes:

I have had an SNMP sensor working on a device for the last 18 months. I have now moved that device behind a firewall and have forwarded port 11161 on the firewall WAN to port 161 on the private IP and have configured the PRTG properties to use port 11161 for the SNMP traffic. (I want to use port 161 to monitor the firewall)

I get no response when I try to add a SNMP traffic monitor.

Have I missed something here?

Appreciate any thoughts.

forwarding prtg snmp

Created on Sep 21, 2017 11:36:27 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please make sure that the manager IP, or the allowed SNMP-Client IP, on the target device is now the Firewall. Please also make sure that you NATed UDP instead of TCP as SNMP uses UDP.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 22, 2017 11:57:29 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Dariusz - appreciate your help. Silly error on my side - as you mentioned SNMP use UDP but I had only set up the nat for tcp. :(

Working now!

Cheers

Created on Sep 27, 2017 1:21:56 AM

Votes:

Hi there,
Good to hear. Enjoy your working sensors. :)

Best regards.

Created on Sep 27, 2017 7:50:35 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.