What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Home PC For Internet Activity When Away From Home?

Votes:

I would like to know when my home PC has lost its internet connection and receive an email or text alert. Can PRTG be used for this? If so how do I configure it for this?

Thanks, Chris

home no-internet prtg

Created on Sep 26, 2017 7:33:18 PM

8 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Chris,

This perfectly applies to the capabilities of our software! :-) But we need to separate two cases:

1. If you install a Remote Probe somewhere in the cloud, you can check the availability externally by simply adding the public DNS name or IP address into the settings of PRTG.
  2. Install PRTG on your local machine. This is great for monitoring your internal network as well as everything going out from this particular server to a specified device.

Your choice Chris! :)

Best regards, Felix

Created on Sep 26, 2017 7:44:44 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Felix. I have PRTG installed on my local machine. How do I configure it for what I'm asking?

Chris

Created on Sep 26, 2017 7:53:00 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

What exactly do you want to monitor? The availability of your network or the opened/visited websites from within your network? These information will enable us to help you as best as possible.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 26, 2017 8:54:38 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just want to know that my internet connection to my home PC is good. I don't run a website or anything like that from it.

Created on Sep 26, 2017 9:09:58 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Then it should be enough to ping certain publicly reachable services like "Google.com", "Yahoo.com"... Afterwards you can add multiple HTTP Sensors which are monitoring certain services (could be the same).

Should the router or a switch in between support SNMP, then you can monitor the traffic via the "SNMP Traffic Sensor".

Best regards.

Created on Sep 26, 2017 9:26:42 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Dariusz. So if the software pings Google or whatever and isn't able to get a reply how is it able to send a notification to me away from home if there is no internet connection?

Thanks, Chris

Created on Sep 27, 2017 12:35:52 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, PRTG can't as all notifications require an active internet connection. You could however send SMS messages via SMS-Modem:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/393

Best regards.

Created on Sep 27, 2017 1:24:33 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you. Maybe I should look in to the cloud method that was mentioned in the first reply.

Created on Sep 27, 2017 4:49:22 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.