What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can't get vCenter added with hosts, vms, datastores, etc..

Votes:

I want to be able to monitor VMWare exactly like the product says: https://www.paessler.com/vmware_monitoring

I add my vCenter server 6.0 (Windows 2008 R2 server) and under CREDENTIALS FOR VMWARE/XENSERVER I enter my domain user and password that is able to log into the vSphere web and thick clients..

I try with both the domain\username and just the username but neither discover anything other then just that server info (no hosts, no datastores, no vms, etc)..

Can someone assist please?

Thanks

prrtg vcenter vmware

Created on Oct 3, 2017 7:55:39 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello tscott,

I'm not sure if I understand your question right.

For adding a sensor to PRTG you can have a look in this manual Add a Sensor to PRTG.

Otherwise if you struggle to select the correct sensors, following sensors are supported for VMWare:

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Eugen

Created on Oct 4, 2017 12:55:10 PM by  Eugen Wilhelm [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply..

I'm saying when I add my vCenter server, it doesn't discover anything automatically.. No ESXI hosts etc.. I thought the autodiscovery should do this?

Created on Oct 4, 2017 1:03:20 PM

Votes:

Hello tscott,

You can check out the PRTG manual for in-depth explanation of the autodiscovery functionality: PRTG Manual Auto Discovery
If you've added your vcenter server as device, you could run the recommended sensors option described here.

Furthermore for your setup described in your other ticket. You could create device templates like described here and use them for your ESXi servers instead of your vcenter server only.

Hope this helps,

Eugen

Created on Oct 5, 2017 2:05:02 PM by  Eugen Wilhelm [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.