What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sometimes 0 KByte in Packet Sniffer

Votes:

I have a switch mirror port configured to sniff my wan interface with PRTG. Everything is running great, i made two packet sniffer sensors (for Upload and Download) and PRTG shows my real bandwidth i use.

But sometimes, every 5-10min, there is one entry with 0 KByte?

It looks like this for download: https://mm-vault.de/chevereto/image/7Tsx

Yes i changed the sensor interval to 10sek, but with standard 60sek there is the problem too.

So if this happens every 10min, there are 144 entrys lost on one day. So for statistics of total DL/UL on one day there can be a difference of many GB.

empty-results packet-sniffer wrong

Created on Oct 4, 2017 4:57:29 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB-Post. May I ask, which exact PRTG Version you are running?

Also, I'd like to take a closer look at your PRTG system logs. Please go to "Setup"->"System Administration"->"Administrative Tools" in PRTG and run the function "Write Probe Status Files". The file(s) will be written into the "Logs (System)"-folder. Please send us the content of this folder from the respective (Remote) Probe running this sensor.
To upload the Probe State files and the PRTG system logs to our FTP server, use the button "Send Logs to Paessler..." on the Tab "Logs and Infos" in the "PRTG Administration Tool" from the system of the probe on which this Packet Sniffer Sensor is running on. This is important in case you are using Remote Probes.

As ticket number, for the upload, please enter PAE934592.

Created on Oct 5, 2017 1:34:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 5, 2017 1:34:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.