What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HTTP Sensor - use of variables in Postdata?

Votes:

We use a series of XML Postdata requests to each of our webservers to check the performance of each server out side of the load balancer.

The postdata is doing a search for availability to a date set within the XML string. Is it possible to set this so that it will always use a date 3 months in advance - rather than us having to specify the data and manually update each sensor (Over 100 sensors) when the date has been passed.

I have pasted in an example of the XML we use - the part I am interested in automating is %3CArrivalDate%3E2018-01-10%3C%2FArrivalDate%

Data=%3CSearchRequest%3E%3CLoginDetails%3E%3CLogin%3E*******%3C%2FLogin%3E%3CPassword%3E******%3C%2FPassword%3E%3C%2FLoginDetails%3E%3CSearchDetails%3E%3CRegionID%3E279%3C%2FRegionID%3E%3CArrivalDate%3E2018-01-10%3C%2FArrivalDate%3E%3CDuration%3E1%3C%2FDuration%3E%3CRoomRequests%3E%3CRoomRequest%3E%3CAdults%3E2%3C%2FAdults%3E%3C%2FRoomRequest%3E%3C%2FRoomRequests%3E%3C%2FSearchDetails%3E%3C%2FSearchRequest%3E

http-advanced-sensor prtg xml

Created on Oct 12, 2017 10:26:03 AM

Last change on Oct 12, 2017 11:26:12 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Glenn,

in HTTP notifications placeholders can be used, at least the ones shown here. One could make use of that and place the desired information into comments section of the device or sensor for example and pass that along to the Postdata. In the HTTP sensors itself I'm afraid that the Postdata field does not support those placeholders or any placeholders at all.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Oct 13, 2017 1:44:59 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard/Glenn.

Did you ever get this working? I am sitting with a similar scenario in which the date (within the postdata that I am sending) needs to change. Would have been nice to have some variable to say change the date to +3 months on or so. Else I will also have to do this manually.

Thanks, Terence.

Created on Mar 11, 2019 12:44:19 PM

Votes:

Hi Terence,

I don't think that this can be done what Glenn wanted to do, never heard back from him since then.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 11, 2019 1:49:29 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.