What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Windows Application Logs for Events That Stop Happening

Votes:

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I can have your product notify me if a specific log file stops appearing in the applications logs after five minutes or some other custom time frame? I am able to find the log files easy enough, I just can't figure out how to recognize that it is no longer getting those files generated to make it appear "down".

Thanks!

logs prtg windows-logs wmi

Created on Oct 17, 2017 10:40:24 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

For this you would need to setup a Windows Event Log sensor to watch for the particular Event ID in question.

Set a Scanning interval of 1 minute

Set a Lower Error Threshold of .9 on the New Records channel.

Set a State Trigger for 0 seconds for a Down state

This should perform the notification you select when there has been 5 minutes of no event IDs indicating that particular log file.

Created on Oct 18, 2017 9:39:20 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.