What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ado conenction string

Votes:

hi, sind update the ado sql sensor ask me for a "provider"... it was working until now with this connection string:

Driver={PostgreSQL UNICODE};Server=192.168.200.120;Port=5432;Database=Contact;Uid=postgres;Pwd=#########;

What "Provider" should i set there?

(its a windows server for postgres)

postgresql provider sql

Created on Oct 18, 2017 8:57:52 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Dear q16marvin,

I have some questions here. What error message are you getting? From which version did you update PRTG?

Created on Oct 18, 2017 11:50:59 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 18, 2017 12:06:32 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

from 15... to 17...

Issue:

An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString. An example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'.

Created on Oct 18, 2017 12:05:51 PM

Votes:

Dear q16marvin,

please try MSDASQL as provider. Does it work then?

Created on Oct 18, 2017 12:07:41 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

nope, thant it says:

"ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified"

but i dont want to use the odbc...

Created on Oct 18, 2017 12:10:14 PM

Votes:

Dear q16marvin,

in that case please specify what you do want to use. It could be that PostgreSQL as provider works, but since the DB is setup on your side, we cannot know.

Created on Oct 18, 2017 12:22:43 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i understand, when i set "Provider=PostgreSQL"

i get:

"The 'PostgreSQL' provider is not registered on the local machine."

so want to monitore the a postgres db on the same server like the prtg installation. so how can i check which "provider" are installed?

Created on Oct 18, 2017 1:01:02 PM

Votes:

Dear q16marvin,

I don't know where this can be checked. You could also try "PostgreSQL OLE DB Provider" (without the quotation marks) as string.

Or you can try our PostgreSQL sensor.

Created on Oct 19, 2017 2:43:21 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thx, but is also not working...

i would use the postgresql sensor, but i run 5 postgres instances on the same server (5 different ports). the port can only be configured on device, not on sensor. for that reason i was using this ado sql sensor...

Created on Oct 19, 2017 3:53:27 PM

Votes:

Dear q16marvin,

in this case, please create five device objects (one for each port.) Please let me know if that works.

Created on Oct 20, 2017 7:30:26 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.