What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Active Directory Replication Error sensor not showing all replication neighbor

Votes:

Hello

I have encountered an issue while adding Active Directory Replication Error sensors to Domain Controller, it turns out that this sensor on a specific domain controller device can be configured only for few of other domain controllers, not all of them. My goal is to monitor replication on every domain controller to every other domain controller with these sensors, how could i get this sensor to list all domain controllers as neighbors?

Best regards Martin

active-directory ad dc domain domain-controller prtg ptfsensor replication

Created on Oct 24, 2017 8:00:43 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear All,

I will just leave it if someone else would have a similar "issue". As the logic comes You can only monitor replication status of the replications that can occur, so going down the line if there are NTDS connections defined between 2 specific controllers You can monitor their replication status otherwise it is not possible (as expected in fact), so to allow me to monitor replication status from all to all domain controllers I would have to define NTDS connections from all to all and the result would be achieved.

Best Regards

Martin

Created on Oct 30, 2017 9:06:29 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Marti,

please clarify in which sense you can only use the sensor for some domain controllers. What error message are you getting on the others?

Created on Oct 24, 2017 12:52:11 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne,

Lets say I have an infrastructure with 5 Domain Controllers, lets call them A,B,C,D and E. For all of them I would like to monitor replication error status with mentioned above sensor. So to do that I go to PRTG device A and choose Add Sensor -> Active Directory Replication Error sensor and in there for the device A I can choose "Replication Neighbor", the problem in my case is that out of 4 other Domain Controllers (B,C,D,E) I can choose only 2 there - for example B and C. How could I force this sensor to allow me monitoring the Replication Status to the rest of Domain Controllers (D,E) from device A? Issue is the same for every other Domain Controller, so for example from PRTG device B I can monitor Replication Errors for controllers C and D, and my goal is to monitor also the rest - for B device it would be A and E as well.

So to summarize I would like to be able to monitor Active Directory Replication Error as follows:

From A to B,C,D,E From B to A,C,D,E From C to A,B,D,E From D to A,B,C,E From E to A,B,C,D

And that is what I currently cannot do with this specific sensors. I hope I have made my issue clear now, please advise me on how to resolve this case.

Best Regards

Martin

Created on Oct 25, 2017 7:14:33 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear All,

I will just leave it if someone else would have a similar "issue". As the logic comes You can only monitor replication status of the replications that can occur, so going down the line if there are NTDS connections defined between 2 specific controllers You can monitor their replication status otherwise it is not possible (as expected in fact), so to allow me to monitor replication status from all to all domain controllers I would have to define NTDS connections from all to all and the result would be achieved.

Best Regards

Martin

Created on Oct 30, 2017 9:06:29 AM

Votes:

Dear Marti,

please clarify if this is now solved, or not.

Created on Oct 30, 2017 11:57:53 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne,

As it turns out the issue weren't in PRTG but in NTDS connections defined in domain, as I have written before I assume that You can monitor with mentioned sensor only the replications that can occur, and to allow replication between domain controllers to occur a NTDS connection have to be defined between them, later on as I have verified I can monitor replication status with mentioned PRTG sensor for all domain controllers connections that are defined, so a the end it is working as expected.

To summarize - we can assume the issue is solved.

Best Regards Martin

Created on Oct 30, 2017 12:04:12 PM

Votes:

Dear Marti

Thank you for clarification, and the explanation of the issue!

Created on Oct 30, 2017 1:21:19 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.