What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification Schedule - Postpone

Votes:

Hi there

I read about the notification schedule and the postpone function. I'm not shure if i should activate it or not.

Can you tell me, what i have to define so i get this result:

1. While the schedule deactivates the notification a sensor goes down and comes up again -> i don't want that e-mail, it's solved and probably was maintenance

2. While the schedule deactivates the notification a sensor goes down and stays that way -> i want a mail when the schedules ends, i must checkout whats wrong

Thanks in advance

notifications schedule sensor

Created on Oct 26, 2017 6:02:06 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

You can find the options for both scenarios in the notification settings where you can add the schedule to:
- Discard notifications during paused status - Collect notifications and send them when reactivated So for scenario 1, it would be the option 1. For scenario 2 it would be option 2.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 26, 2017 10:51:27 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm not shure if i explained well enough.

My Idea is to set office ours as a schedule and define them in my notification. So if a system has a maintenance downtime over night i don't get tons of notifications. But if the downtime proceeds into office ours, i want to get a notification so i can react.

Do you know what i mean?

Sensors that go down and come up again during the notification is of by schedule don't interest me, only ones that persist to be down when the schedule ends and office hours start.

Can I setup PRTG to do that?

Thanks in advance

Created on Oct 26, 2017 11:27:55 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Maybe I didn't understood it. :)
To achieve what you want, perform the following steps:

• create a new Schedule under "Setup > Account Settings > Schedule"
  • check that the Business Hours are checked (ticket box, means active)
  • create a new (or use an existing) notification and add the new Schedule to it
  • choose the "Discard notifications during paused status"-option in the notification settings This will discard all notifications that are falling into the inactive time of the notifications.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 26, 2017 12:15:17 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay, thanks

Let's say work hours start 8 AM and i define it that way in the schedule. If a server number one goes down 7.30 AM and stays down until after 8 AM. And a server number two goes down 7.30 a.m. and comes up at 7.35 AM.

With the setup you explained, will i get a notification for only server number one, because it is still down or not?

Created on Oct 26, 2017 12:22:56 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

You won't get any notification that arises during this time. :)
Only when the notification trigger triggers after 8 AM, then you will receive a notification. But every notification that is triggered within the inactive hours, will be discarded.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 26, 2017 1:23:43 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay thanks for the info.

My idea is that i would get the notification from server two, because it is still down. In that case, the better option for me would be to set the schedule on the sensor, not the notification right? That way i would not get a notification from server one, because prtg never knew about it but i would get one from server two, because at 8 AM the probe would start checking, right?

The only downside is, i don't have a 100% log of the server activity, because the schedule pauses the sensor over night. Is there a third option i'm not seeing, to get both 100% sensor log and a notification of down sensors at the start of a schedule?

Created on Oct 26, 2017 1:35:10 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

That is correct and would be the only option to get notifications of certain servers only after 8. Unfortunately, there is no way to get both.

What you could do is, you can use the "XML Rest Value Sensor" that queries all available errors of PRTG and lists them as a Value. Then you can add the Schedule to the Sensor so it is only active from 07:50 to 08:00. In the channel settings you set the Limit for "Upper Error Limit" to "0". To trigger a notification between 07:50 and 08:00, you have to add a new State Trigger. So you will always get notified if there are any errors ten minutes before 8. Would that be an option for you?

Best regards.

Created on Oct 26, 2017 1:55:56 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It sounds like a good alternative. How would the Search Query look like then?

Do you have an example?

Created on Oct 26, 2017 2:06:03 PM

Votes:

Hi Rory,

Okay, please follow these steps to create the sensor:

• create a new API-User with a secure password and administrative rights under "Setup > System Administration > User Accounts"
  • copy the passhash of the newly created API user (Setup > System Administration > User Accounts > NEW USER > Show Passhash)
  • create a new HTTP XML/Rest Value Sensor (not the new REST BETA Sensor)
  • use the following URL and adapt the placeholders (https/http, server, username and passhash of the new user):
http(s):SERVER/api/status.json?username=USER&passhash=PASSHASH
  • after the URL use the following settings: XML Node:
Alarms

Channel Name:

Alarms
  • Open the Channel Settings after the creation of the "Alarms" Channel and enable the "Enable Limits"-Option
  • enter "0" as the "Upper Error Limit" so if the value is above "0", it will get into an error state
  • to just activate the sensor from 07:50 to 08:00, create a new Schedule under "Setup > Account Settings > Schedule"
  • add this Schedule to the Sensor in the Sensor-Settings
  • add a new "State Trigger" for the "Error" state and choose a notification that should be active from 07:50 to 08:00

Afterwards you should have a sensor which monitors the Alarms that are present from 07:50 to 08:00.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 27, 2017 8:05:44 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.