What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Powershell Sensor not running executable

Votes:

I've come across others with this issue and nothing seems to work for me. I have a Powershell script that I'm trying to use as a custom sensor. The script is supposed to call TFTP.exe in the System32 folder to test retrieving a file from another server. Whenever it gets to that part is responds with

C:\Windows\System32\TFTP.EXE' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

The script runs fine when I test it manually. I've confirmed the credentials that PRTG is using to run the script (via sensor settings) and I've tested the script with that security context. I've also check that the script is running elevated and it is. I've also verified that the execution policy is set to bypass for both 64 AND 32 bit versions of Powershell.

I don't know what else to check and can't figure out why I'm having such trouble doing such a simple task.

Any help would be really appreciated!

execute-program powershell prtg

Created on Oct 26, 2017 7:38:40 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,

Try putting the executable into the same path as the Powershell script and adjust the call accordingly. Does it work then?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Oct 27, 2017 10:18:09 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

YOU DID IT! It works great when I copy TFTP.exe into the custom sensor folder for PRTG. I'm not sure why it couldn't access the system32 folder since UAC was turned off and the account being used was an admin. Either way, I don't care anymore because this works just as well.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Created on Oct 31, 2017 1:39:41 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.