What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto-discovery not working on switch

Votes:

Hi,

I'm quite new in Paessler World! We changed all our switches L2 and we are not able anymore to run an auto-discovery on those devices and discover sensors.

I've checked the SNMP config on Paessler and on the switches side and it seems OK. I have no errors on Paessler, it's just empty.

Do you have an idea on how can I find the problem?

auto-discovery snmp-sensor switch

Created on Nov 2, 2017 2:44:57 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello josuemouco,
welcome to the Paessler world. :)

Do these new switches reply to ping? PRTG will only discover devices that reply to ping:

One way to test this is:

1. Create a new device manually: Manual: Add a device
  2. Manually deploy a "Ping" sensor an "SNMP Uptime" sensor: Manual: Add a Sensor

This test will confirm whenever SNMP and ICMP are working, if both sensors come up the discovery should definitively work on these devices.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 3, 2017 8:04:45 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi,

Everything fine, it works thanks !

Created on Nov 3, 2017 8:09:10 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.