What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Duplicate devices created during auto-discovery

Votes:

I have a auto-discovery group enabled that keeps looking for new devices in a class c network. The auto-discovery group is using dns and should skip known devices/ip's according to the settings but somehow multiple entries of the same devices popup.

Maybe it's a coincidence but only Windows 10 devices create duplicate entries, server editions or Linux devices never show up as a duplicate.

I've noticed that sometimes the name of the client is discovered with all uppercase letters and another time just with the first letter capital but even with these variations in naming I've currently got duplicates.

How can i prevent the creation of duplicate entries? PRTG is version 17.3.33.2830

auto-discovery device duplicate

Created on Nov 5, 2017 12:21:17 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear R0bbyK,

please clarify, does each duplicate has a different host name (if you count upper/lower case as different) or do you also get duplicates with exactly the same host name?

Created on Nov 6, 2017 1:18:02 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I do have duplicated with the exact same host name in the exact same spelling.

Created on Nov 6, 2017 1:52:56 PM

Votes:

Dear R0bbyK,

complex cases like these are hard to support through the knowledge base. Please contact us at [email protected], describe the issue and please also add screenshots, illustrating the device duplication. We will then probably ask for additional logs, but that would be a good starting point.

Created on Nov 7, 2017 3:56:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.