What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Trends reporting for the entire PRTG

Votes:

Hello, fun fun fun i have been tasked with reporting on how our monitoring team meets KPIs. Does PRTG provide any kind of tool for automated reporting of trends in the PRTG estate? I have the current alarms exporting as CSV and can deduce it from this but its a silly amount of data manipulation each day.

You are a monitoring and reporting tool after all, please make my week and tell me you have something to export me this information in a management friendly way :)

business-analysis reports trend

Created on Nov 7, 2017 10:13:10 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Sam,

We'll, I can put your mind at ease. There is actually something to create trending reports in PRTG.
Unfortunately, it's not natively integrated into PRTG, but via a 3rd party addon (which is not supported by us). The folks over at PRTG Plugins have created the Trending Tool, which will cost you a bit, but should report what you're looking for.

Let me know if there's anything else I can be of assistance with!

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 7, 2017 10:35:03 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hmm. Not gonna lie this isnt entirely what im looking for, it seems very detailed which is good but i can pull a shed load of data from the api myself.

Does PRTG itself not have a tool built into it which can monitor the business performance of a core host rather than the resources its using or other metrics? If it does not can i very strongly recommend it being rolled into an update at some point? it'd be so so so so so helpful

Created on Nov 7, 2017 1:28:01 PM

Votes:

Hi Sam,

Ah, shucks :) Could you define business performance precisely?

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 7, 2017 2:24:11 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just the general performance of my team by way of prtg's current state. My current plan is to pull the xml from the current alarms pane every hour to my machine and then at least i have data to manipulate.

Really all i'm aiming for here is some pretty graphs to please management regarding the number of devices down, warning, down for longer than a certain time. And then over time build up a picture of what issues we see re-occurring frequently and for which customers so we can mitigate them before they raise alarms in the first place. We have 5 core hosts that are intergrated with our CRM system rather badly so we cant pull the data from there and i really dont feel like spending an hour of my day dealing with csv's to find my own trends...im not paid enough for that :P

Created on Nov 7, 2017 2:29:39 PM

Votes:

Hehe :D Alright, so the basic would be the amount of down/warning sensors on a per device level? Or would the actual ping availability be sufficient here (while pinging doesn't reflect service functionality)?

Guess the report would be done the easiest way via a customized Excel file or a database with reporting capabilities. Excel could also have the PRTG API attached as data source...

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 8, 2017 9:00:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.