What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Feature request - Advanced Acknowledge

Votes:

Hi,

We use a lot the "acknowledge" feature, and its truly a blessing for our team to know who and what is happening on an alert. But we'd love to see two new things added to this feature for it to be really perfect : --- - Being able to change the acknowledge message When something go down, admin often acknowledge the alarm with a message like "i'm on it !" or "Service Provider Problem" but when the incident is here for a long time, it could be really usefull to be able to change it to something more appropriate (like the "i'm on it" could be changed by "server down, HDD dead"...) --- - Being able to "prepare" an acknowledge and/or to acknowledge for X time. Exactly the same as a "planned pause" but with acknowledge. The Prepared Ack : Sometime we know something is gonna go down, but we do not want it to be paused, we want to know exactly when it went down, and when it went back up. And with a message pre-entered in the ack. Exemple : Service provider alert us that a building will be unavailable for X time on day Y between H and H. We don't want to pause the check, we want to know when they cut the line, and when it went back up, but we don't want to be spammed by mail, and the pre-entered message will remind everyone that its planned.

the Ack for X time : Usually when something just keep getting down and back up because someone work on it, or any other reason, but we want to ack it promptly for 2hours knowing that it will be back up in a few, but without wanting the sensor to fall in the pit of the "paused" sensor..

Thanks for your time on this, i hope it will have some success in the feature request section !

acknowledgement auto-acknowledge feature

Created on Nov 7, 2017 3:22:19 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear reseau_siera,

thank you for taking your time in order to provide detailed feedback.

However, those ideas will likely not be implemented. Please let me get a bit deeper into the reasons. One reason is that an "Acknowledged until" status would require a new status code. PRTG uses 15 internal statuses already. We want to keep PRTG easy to learn and to use, and this means to only implement features which would see wide use.

Changing a message is indirectly possible: A sensor can be resumed, and then acknowledged (or paused) again. Another option is to use PRTG's internal ticket system in order to track who is on it and what was changed in the network.

The ping sensor (as the only sensor) has an "auto-acknowledge" option, which however cannot be tied to a schedule. Still, in combination with the option "master object for parent", this allows to take a device (which is the parent of the ping sensor) out of the monitoring as long as it is offline. This ist not exactly what you are looking for, but works for most PRTG users.

That being said, your input is valuable. While the specific requests are likely not see implementation, we are overall seeing that more and more users have large setups, and/or multiple admins working on the same PRTG installation.

Created on Nov 7, 2017 8:05:55 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 7, 2017 8:26:09 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I was not asking for a new status, the acknowledge already exist, i just asked for it to be plannable ...

Created on Nov 8, 2017 7:04:15 AM

Votes:

Dear reseau_siera,

internally, "Acknowledged until", or "Acknowledged by schedule" would be a new internal status. Like there are different internal pause statuses:

7 = PausedUser
 8 = PausedDependency
 9 = PausedSchedule
11 = PausedLicense
12 = PausedUntil

Created on Nov 8, 2017 1:59:30 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, i understand then. Too bad that the program can't be upgraded. But for the first feature, changing the acknowledge message after its been acknowledged, is it locked too ?

Regards,

Created on Nov 9, 2017 10:36:26 AM

Votes:

Dear reseau_siera,

allowing to change this message needs a new control element in the interface. We are intentionally careful with adding any elements to the user interface, because we want to keep it clear.

The PRTG build-in ticket system allows to add messages regarding a sensor. While not as visible as the acknowledge message, it is more flexible.

Adding the option to change the acknowledge message itself would have some implications. For example, one might want to look into past messages. This would add further complexity. The build-in ticket system already provides the option to see past messages.

Created on Nov 9, 2017 12:18:44 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.