What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I see the HISTORY of a sensor that has gone down?

Votes:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to track down one IP Cisco phone that went down.

The problem is that LAST MESSAGE shows now 223 or No such instance (SNMPerror #223), which is useless as I cannot track down the history from this sensor, and therefore find out which device went down...

Is there anyway I can find out which device this particular sensor is attached to? Ie.: cc phone: 137/ccm phone name is attached to SEP42C44XXXXXX as per its last message. But then when the sensor goes down, it goes to 223... which becomes useless...

BTW, I found out using Cisco's tools... but I want to track this down with PRTG...

thanks! Ed

cisco-ccm ip-phone lastmessage prtg snmp

Created on Nov 7, 2017 3:48:26 PM

16 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there is no other error which PRTG is able to report. The 223 Error is a protocol error and is indicating that the monitored interface is not available anymore. PRTG can't know what exactly caused this or what is linked to the interface as this is different from device to device.

You can always click on the sensor that is displayed in the notification/log-table and you will see where the sensor is added to.

Best regards.

Created on Nov 8, 2017 1:26:17 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks. Hope all is well!

Is there a way of keeping track of the LAST MESSAGE field as a log? because either the log nor Historic data actually show relevant information other than the sensor being down.

Have a great day! Ed

Created on Nov 8, 2017 2:40:52 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

The last message field most likely displayed the same error message. May I ask you what you expect to be displayed in the log instead?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 9, 2017 7:26:19 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good morning/day! Hope all is well! Thanks for the on going great support/service! Much appreciated!

For instance, when the sensor is "up", we see the following:

ccm phone:68/ccm phone description Last message: Ed Maruyama - 2284

ccm phone:68/cmm phone name Last message: SEP1212121212

and so on for the IP address, location, status, etc...

When the device goes down, all Last Messages turn to 223 / no such instance, which becomes pointless to actually help us track down the device.

The "parent" itself is the one with the IP address setup as a "sensor", not the individual devices, so there is no individual info on the logs)

So if there is a way of sending the last messages to a log, when the device goes down, we would be able to identify all the info in regards to it. Let me know if you need any further info...

cheers, Dank schoen! Ed

Created on Nov 9, 2017 2:16:34 PM

Votes:

For instance, since these sensors are installed in a Cisco CUCM server, it returns the description of the phone, name, IP Address and status of the devices.

It would be awesome to be able to log the last message and retrieve the info whenever the device goes down, so that we are able to actually recognize which/where/what went down.

Thank you, Ed

Created on Nov 14, 2017 9:07:52 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I am not sure why I didn't got the last response, sorry for that.

As described, PRTG can only display the error it receives or is generated by the query to the target device. The 223 error is a generic error and will be displayed for any SNMP Sensor with the same issue. PRTG can't know that there might be a Cisco Server behind the sensor and therefore it can't display/additional information which will be displayed in the sensor message.
However, you can give certain notes in the mail via the "Comments"-Tab of the sensor. So when the sensor errors or goes up, then you will always get these notes in the mail:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/object_settings#notifications

Best regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2017 9:50:31 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks. It helps for sure.

Would that be easy to run a script and populate the comments with the last message? if so, where could I start?

Have a great day! Ed

Created on Nov 15, 2017 2:09:56 PM

Votes:

Hi Ed,

This would also mean that you write the 2003 error message in the comments.

If I understood it correctly, you wonder which device the sensor is added to, right? If so, you can see in the mail as there is a path like "Probe > Group > Parent Device > Sensor".

Best regards.

Created on Nov 15, 2017 2:34:35 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hmmmm, but if I "append", it will build up as a "log" of previous states, right?

In this particular scenario, I have:
PRTG
Local Probe>Main Office >
Cisco Unified CM Administration (IP: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX)

(This is the actual device with IP), everything else comes "internally" from Cisco's MIB files that I have imported through the library.

So, under this "device", I have the actual sensors:

ccm phone:102/ccm phone name
ccm phone:102/ccm phone ip address
ccm phone:102/ccm phone status
ccm phone:102/ccm phone description
etc...

and each of them return their own "state", SEPxxxxxxxx, 192.168.1.111, OK and Ed Maruyama - Ext XXXXX

Thanks!
Ed

Created on Nov 15, 2017 2:50:08 PM

Last change on Nov 16, 2017 9:44:44 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

That is true, that would require you to get the old comment and to append the new text while setting the comment anew.

However could you check if the messages are displayed properly in the "Log"-Tab of the sensors?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 16, 2017 9:46:50 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good day! Hope all is well!

I don't think I can choose a different channel for the sensor to log the proper info, as the only option that shows up currently are:

Response Time and Downtime.

No options to record the "Last message:", that actually shows the information I want to track down, in this case, description of the phone, IP addresses, status and name of the device.

Danke schoen, Ed

Created on Nov 16, 2017 2:09:23 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Have you clicked the "Log"-Tab of the sensors (next to "Settings" and "Notifications")? There you should see the following columns:

Date Time Sensor Status Message

Best regards.

Created on Nov 16, 2017 4:52:12 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey there! Hope all is well!

This log shows the status as Up/Warning or Down. But the message associated to each one of these states are either "timestamp" like 1,5271msec or -2003. (I cannot find a "Channel" containing the relevant info.)

The field "Overview" actually shows the information I am looking for as "Last message", with the "actual" relevant information like the description/IP/name/status/etc, and I can't find where it has been logged.

Thanks again, Ed

Created on Nov 16, 2017 5:04:29 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please check the below screenshot (might look different on your end). There is the log-tab which displays the message that is received after a status change: Image description Isn't that the case on your end?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 16, 2017 8:39:05 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good morning! Hope all is well!

Nope, unfortunately, the message I get within the log is somewhat irrelevant. Response time and downtime.

have a great day ! and Weekend!

Danke, Ed

Created on Nov 17, 2017 2:34:42 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you forward us a screenshot of the log-tab of the sensor?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 20, 2017 8:47:07 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.