What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Access external PRTG Monitor sensor

Votes:

Good evening, I was wondering whether it is possible to include one or more sensors from another PRTG installation into our PRTG Monitor. I could imagine that writing and parsing XML/JSON coudl be possible but maybe there is an easier way ? Thanks for sharing teh knowledge Michaël

external-access json sensor

Created on Nov 7, 2017 6:05:21 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear MDC,

it is not possible to copy sensors from one PRTG server to another. However, the re-creation of configured sensors can be largely automated using device templates. The template files can be copied over to another PRTG and are then available on the new server.

Created on Nov 7, 2017 7:38:47 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne, Thank you for the quick reply. The aim is not to copy sensors but to retrieve their value. Our Service provider is using PRTG to prevent us from accessing their equipment directly. We can access these values through the web interface with uid/pwd or we could use the API which returns the data as well but I was hoping for an easier solution (REST or Advanced HTTP). If not then we can still use Python I guess. Thanks Michaël

Created on Nov 7, 2017 7:53:48 PM

Votes:

Hello Michaël,

thank you for the clarification. PRTG's API can return CSV, XML, and JSON, but it looks like you are aware of these options. Beside the web interface, application access (Enterprise Console, or mobile app) is possible as well.

In order to get CSV or XML on a regular basis, it is possible to setup data table reports which include, beside the PDF, also the data files.

Created on Nov 7, 2017 9:16:45 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.