What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

A Sensor for multiple instances of the same .exe

Votes:

Is it possible to create a sensor for each instance of the same .exe File. Processname is always prog.exe, just the PID and the Main Window Title are different.

More Details: I start prog.exe from a ps1 script including a given argument list. This create an instance of prog.exe with a specific main window titel (servername01) and other parameters wich comes from an ini file. Now i have an instance running "prog.exe" with a main window title "servername01". Then i start the same prog.exe from the ps1 script again, but with a modified argument list. Now i have another prog.exe running, but with a diffrent main window titel (servername02). How can i monitor these two instances of the same prog.exe with diffrent main window title?

instances main-windows-title monitoring

Created on Nov 7, 2017 10:07:47 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear aSaHi_HAL9000,

the build-in process sensor can only use the executable to discern processes. That means, you cannot monitor these processes separately with PRTG standard sensors.

The solution here would be to write a custom sensor which gets more information about a process using the Windows API.

Created on Nov 8, 2017 2:05:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.