What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping error: ICMP error # 11010

Votes:

Hello,

I'm having an issue where I cannot get my Azure server to be seen in PRTG. I can ping both devices to each other via command line and both complete a trace route without any issues. They can see each other both by IP address and DNS name. I've found an article where I can increase the amount of pings, however, that didn't seem to resolve the issue. I just need to add the "Ping" sensor to this device so make sure it's online. Any assistance would be appreciated.

icmp-error ping-sensor prtg

Created on Nov 8, 2017 12:05:30 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear MOMeara,

the PRTG ping sensor uses the Windows API to ping. From which computer did you perform the test ping from the command line, from the computer where you access the PRTG web interface, or from the computer which runs PRTG? And, do you use PRTG remote probes?

Created on Nov 8, 2017 2:01:55 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 8, 2017 2:02:03 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I performed the ping from the PRTG server (where I can access the web interface) using the command line to the machine I want to monitor. They were able to communicate with no packet loss, however, when using the PING sensor in PRTG it cannot find the machine and gives me the ICMP error 11010

Created on Nov 9, 2017 3:24:07 PM

Votes:

Dear MOMeara,

this case requires some screenshots now. Please contact [email protected] and describe this issue. Please include a screenshot of

• the PRTG Administration Tool (found in the PRTG program group), showing the default tab "Web Server"
  • a command line on the same computer, after running ipconfig. (If necessary please scroll to let us see the local IP)
  • another command line where you perform the ping manually
  • a screenshot of the ping sensor in PRTG, its overview tab
  • a screenshot of the parent device object of that ping, the settings tab (multiple screenshots if required to cover all settings.)

Created on Nov 10, 2017 1:42:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Were you able to solve this problem? I have the same problem with two routers. They are sometimes accessible, sometimes not. But I can perform ping from the command line successfully. Ping sensor I did some wireshark captures, but I was not able to find any outgoing ICMP packets.

Created on May 5, 2022 3:45:22 PM

Votes:

Hello,

if you can ping the target, the pcap should include those ICMP packets.

The sporadic nature of reachability can make it difficult to debug, the best way probably is to trace the ping when it works, and when it does not work, to identify the hop where it is going wrong.

Created on May 10, 2022 11:24:59 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.