Multiple forests, all with their own (SQL) servers; one-way non-transitive trust to forest with monitoring cluster.
1 PRTG cluster, monitoring them all
Creating mssql sensor on a domain other than the domain the monitoring cluster is in.
The account used for monitoring the server is in the other domain.
PRTG giving an error 'Can not log in using the specified credentials!'
- So, PRTG-cluster is in domain DomA (Trusted Domain)
- SQL server is in domain DomB (Trusting Domain)
- Windows-credentials for the SQL server is set to DomB\<user>
- Windows sensors work fine.
- Creating a mssql sensor, it tells me it 'can not log in using the specified credentials'
When I change the Windows credentials to DomA\<user> (so, from the same domain the PRTG cluster is in, and is configured as a trusted domain in the trust between these domains), the sensor starts working.
Seems like mssql sensors don't like impersonation with an account in another domain?
Even though the Windows sensors (for example the disk sensor) is working fine?
Checked with my DBA, and he gets no messages in the sql log about this account trying to authenticate
Did another test, by running the sqlv2.exe utility on a server in DomB
There it works fine.
Any ideas on how to make this work?
Because I cannot create a probe in DomB, just for sql sensors.
Nor can I start monitoring DomB with a DomA\<user> account...