What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

When will PRTG log a record in Log tab

Votes:

Hi everyone,

Can someone please help me to understand what is the mechanism of PRTG to log a record in Log tab? It seems to me that the log is logged very randomly which I don't think that is the case. My guess is that there will be some kind of trigger for the log.

Here is the screenshot from the log of my PRTG PRTG Log tab

Thank you in advance.

Son

log logs prtg

Created on Nov 13, 2017 4:39:41 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

These are just informational log entries as the sensors uses both WMI and PerfCounters, should one fail or should the other one be used, then a log entry is written that informs about this.

Best regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2017 9:27:02 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The reason for new Log-Entries is always displayed in the "Message" column on the right side of the table. This could be a state change of the sensor, an activated trigger or an exceeded threshold.

Best regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2017 9:56:02 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz,

In the screenshot that I attached, for the most recent messages it always displays "Performance Counters are working fine" so it doesn't seem like something was exceeded its threshold so is there away for us to know what triggered that Log-Entries?

Kind regards, Son

Created on Nov 14, 2017 1:04:16 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

These are just informational log entries as the sensors uses both WMI and PerfCounters, should one fail or should the other one be used, then a log entry is written that informs about this.

Best regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2017 9:27:02 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.