What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB-Post. The filter to only get sensors from a certain group should be

?id=

replace the ? with & should it not be the first parameter.

best regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2017 1:30:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten!

That does work for what you describe however im not looking to filter output, simply have a column in my xml/csv that has the parent group ID or better still a group name.

To give you some background i am using the above url to output a file of current alarms, it gives me the following columns

Down for Probe Group Device Sensor Last Value Status Message Priority ID URL

as well as the above RAW output with a column each. I need one of these columns to be the Group ID or group name as we use the grouping system for each of our customers

Created on Nov 14, 2017 1:37:47 PM

Votes:

Oooh hold on i am making headway, i have now added the group to the columns list with "columns=group%2C" however this just gives the immediately previous group. This doesnt work for a few customers we have who are nested thusly

Devices>Customer Name>Servers>Device Devices>Customer Name>Network>Device

etc

What can i add to columns= to show the parent groups?

Many thanks Samuel

Created on Nov 14, 2017 1:42:59 PM

Votes:

Hi Sam, I need to explain the details here. As you are pulling a list of sensors, you are also pulling their properties (as columns of the table). And sensors only know their immediate parent group (and their parent Probe of course). They do not know any nested groups in between, and there is no recursing through the tree as it would greatly impact the performance of such an API call to get the nested groups.
The only way I see would be a 2nd API call that gets a list of all groups within PRTG and then scripted combine the two lists (which isn't going to be easy) I'm afraid.

best regards.

Created on Nov 14, 2017 4:43:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The identity of the parent probe may be useable as we have a defined list of probe devices and associated customers within our CRM. Things that aren't easy are my forte :P I figured i'd need to create some kind of lookup during this anyhow. I will work on getting the group listings (any tips appreicated) and merging them together.

Sadly there is no way around this as knowing which of our customers generate the most alerts is a somewhat important KPI to our management :l

Created on Nov 15, 2017 9:03:28 AM

Votes:

With

columns=probe,group,device

you should get all the possible parent elements (except the groups between the direct parent group and the probe of course).

Created on Nov 15, 2017 1:09:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Perfect!! The probe column is exactly what i need. Thanks so much :)

Created on Nov 15, 2017 1:42:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.