What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Wrong data is being graphed and collected

Votes:

I'm having an issue with the data from MIB's imported into PRTG. The import was successful and so was creating the sensor.

The data returned in "Last Message" is the real data value obtained from the SNMP polling but what's graphed and stored as data is "Response Time". In this scenario, the "Response Time" data is completely worthless.

How can I store the data from "Last Message" and graph against it?

custom-sensor data graphs mib snmp-import

Created on Nov 14, 2017 8:51:25 PM

Last change on Nov 15, 2017 12:06:01 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello there and thank you for your KB-Post.

I will go ahead and guess that the "Last Message" that you're seeing is a string and not a numerical value (1, -4, 1,24 or -5,00). Correct?

This is very common and happens because PRTG can't assign a non-numerical value ("ok", "working", "18/09/2017 15:44", "up", ...) to a channel. The way PRTG was conceived only numerical values can be stored and graphed.

Depending on the SNMP Implementation, there may be a numerical equivalent of what you're monitoring under a different OID. If there is, I encourage you to monitor that. If not, you might want to have a look at the following Post for some of the alternatives/explanations:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 15, 2017 12:10:25 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

The data from last message is actually a number. Usually a 2-3 digit number.

Created on Nov 15, 2017 11:07:58 PM

Votes:

Hello onwelfare,
thank you for your reply.

Please copy the contents of the message and share it here on the KB.
Additionally, what MIB did you import and how is the sensor's name?

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 16, 2017 7:53:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Nov 16, 2017 7:53:52 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

I figured it out!

All I needed to do was enable Extract Number Using Regular Expression. Since I know the data will be a number I used [0-9]*

This created another channel and data stream that is now graphed. Now I ran into another issue. Will post another question. :-(

Created on Nov 16, 2017 9:17:13 PM

Last change on Nov 17, 2017 8:26:19 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.