What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Feedback on the new HTML5 WebGUI

Votes:

Some feedback on the new WebGUI in version 17.4.35.3326+

1. Slow and jerky scrolling in Safari on MacOS Sierra. My Mac is a high-end machine (4ghz CPU, fast VGA card) and the old 7.3 Gui was very fast and smooth. Scrolling performance is a bit better in the new Firefox 57 on MacOS but again, the old 7.3 was a lot faster.

2. Can you please remove the "add sensor" button from every single device line (it appears after the last sensor on each device). It takes up space, there is a blue button in the right pane already, and it was not there in 7.3 (doing right mouseclick on a device, then select "add sensor" was fine. Let's face it, after a device is properly configured 8all 48 switchports for example), how often do people add sensors to it. It's not like your network-switch suddenly has more ports, to name an example.

3. In XL view, in device-trees where devices have a single sensor (mostly ping), every device now occupies 2 lines instead of 1 like in v7.3. One line with the sensor and below that the "add sensor" button on it's own line. A list of devices therefore take up twice the screen real-estate compared to v7.3 (in XL mode).

4. The "M" view-mode is basically unusable due to the few characters that can be displayed on the one line that is shown. A sensor called "Disk free C:" is readable but a sensor called "Datacenter Temperature" is truncated to "Datacentr". The longer names are only completely visible when hovering over the sensor with the mouse-pointer. The are also visible in "S" mode and in the "L" and "XL" modes.

Thank you for making the move to HTML5. It looks great, but the things above need some love and tweaking in my opinion.

Kind regards, Steven Rodenburg

gui html5 scrolling slow webgui

Created on Nov 15, 2017 8:00:32 PM

17 Replies

Votes:

Dear Steven,

thank you for the feedback. The new interface is now released in its first public incarnation. While it evolved a lot during our internal tests, we will continue to work on it.

However we made some design decisions like always showing a button which allows to add sensors. We rather have consistency that every hierarchy level looks similar, than an 'intelligent' design which could lead to confusion if buttons are sometimes visible and sometimes not.

Regarding scaling and white spaces, we compile feedback. Please don't expect any impactful changes soon, as we first want to get broad feedback. There are some string truncation and table width issues we are looking at, but before we do more polish here, we want to address performance issue which we also see.

Thank you again for the detailed feedback!

Created on Nov 16, 2017 3:00:48 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 16, 2017 3:02:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I totally agree. There seems to be a lot of unused white space at the bottom of the device page.

Created on Nov 16, 2017 3:41:17 PM

Votes:

Update: the jerky scrolling in MacOS Safari (amongst others) is solved in the new 17.4.36 version. Thank you.

Created on Dec 18, 2017 9:37:16 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I (think I) found a bug in the 7.4.36 release. The root dashboard (that shows up after logging in) does not show all the sensors anymore since the upgrade from 7.4.35 to 7.4.36. The lower part of the page is all white. The vertical scroll-bar does show the correct length but the content is gone. When I collaps something on the page (anything will do) en then expand it again, the page is redrawn correctly and everything is visible again.

It happens in the browsers Safari, Firefox and Chrome on MacOS and Chrome and IE on Windows 10. On short pages, it does not happen but on really long ones, the last couple of sensors are invisible until collapsing & expanding some random device on the page (forces a redraw i guess).

I cannot attach screenshots. If needed, I can email it. Just tell me where to send it to.

Created on Dec 18, 2017 2:26:30 PM

Votes:

Dear Steven,

please contact us about this via [email protected] with screenshots and a description of the issue. Thank you!

Created on Dec 19, 2017 2:23:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 19, 2017 2:23:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I totally agree with the poster. Also we are not a big fan of the new look; very hard on the eyes.

Created on Dec 21, 2017 3:41:44 PM

Votes:

Yeah. I must say that the more I work with the new interface, the less I like it. Having HTML5 is good. But there is so much whitespace everywhere. Large numbers of sensors used to fit on my screen, providing a nice overview but now, I scroll my butt off. The page is 3 times as long...

And I say it again, please get rid of that darn "add sensor" button which appears 1000000x on a page. We have the blue "add sensor" button that is consistently in the top right corner and we can always do "right mouse click".

Come on guys :-(

Created on Dec 22, 2017 2:21:10 PM

Votes:

I agree with all of you, futhermore i guess it's much slower to Show some Things like historical data and there is a bug in Internet explörer... the Report generater button isn't showing completly on the right side...

Created on Jan 8, 2018 1:59:16 PM

Votes:

The next release, 18.1.37, will contain a lot of interface updates. Some more improvements are planned for the release after that.

Positioning errors of UI elements will be fixed with the next releases. Regarding the performance, the IE seems to be not as fast as alternatives.

Created on Jan 9, 2018 5:03:52 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

"Regarding the performance, the IE seems to be not as fast as alternatives."

That is true in general. IE can have serious performance issues with webpages that contain a large amount of elements or which are highly complex (primarily web-based business-applications, admin-consoles etc). The render-engines in current Chrome, Firefox and Edge versions are a lot faster. One sees the same situation with many VMware Webgui's: Slow in IE, much faster in the other browsers. IE is showing it's age :-)

Created on Jan 9, 2018 5:36:32 PM

Votes:

i didn0t wrote right, sorry... in IE there is a Problem in the Report generator button... but for me the new Interface is slower than the old one in Chrome!

Created on Jan 10, 2018 12:17:09 PM

Votes:

The button placement should be fixed in a future version.

The new interface could be a bit slower in some parts, but we continue to improve its performance. The new interface has a more responsive design, which comes at some performance cost. However on a typical system, the performance should be fully sufficient to work.

Created on Jan 10, 2018 3:01:59 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Agreed, I really would like the old interface back. When you view sensors, I can now view about 5 sensors on a page, rather than a ton of sensors. I could manage a lot of sensors at one time, and get a large overview of them. The reduction of efficiency in space is astounding. I'm honestly not sure who thought the new UI was a good idea.

I am finding myself spending twice the time in PRTG than I did before. Is there anyway that in the next release you would be able to give us a choice of which UI we can use?

Created on Jan 11, 2018 1:28:21 AM

Votes:

Hello bschumacher,

What you most likely are referring to is the view adjusting to the current resolution and window size. Which resolution do you use and do you use the browser window in a custom size instead of maximized? The reason why those tables adjust how much sensors they show is due to the demand for "responsive design" to adjust the view according for mobile devices and alike.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 11, 2018 1:26:51 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Other issiue: I have a bussiness process who Counts my active Directory replication. with the new Interface i'm not able to remove a sensor on a channel. the sensor itself, when i like to click the x removes and all other sensor getting big and it isn't gone...

Created on Jan 12, 2018 11:50:28 AM

Votes:

Hi dawed,

Hover with the mouse over the name of the sensor you like to delete. When you click there, it will be deleted, at least I tested it successfully now with the latest 18.x version. If it doesn't work for you, please send us an email to [email protected] with a screenshot showing the issue.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 12, 2018 12:56:56 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It didn't worked but never mind... we get back to the old Interface... had a lot of Trouble with the new one... an other example: showing historical data on a sensor Crash IE and Firefox and on Chrome it takes more than 10 Minutes to load... before it was just some seconds... unusable in our Case! so... we try new Interface in a future release somewhen this year but not now anymore!

Created on Jan 15, 2018 2:04:05 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.