What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Simple report showing Switch ports with no traffic as csv

Votes:

I am trying to generate a csv report with very Basic Information for finding all inactive Ports on a Network Switch

Idea: - Devices: Several Network Switches; select all Ports - Run Report for 1 week - Show all Ports where Traffic (in/out) is zero - Save as csv

Can somebody at least guide me a little bit how to do this in PRTG? I tried and checked in manual - found maybe this is too "Basic"? :-)

For help thanks in advance!

csv inactive ports report

Created on Nov 16, 2017 4:56:03 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi MMax,

Actually, it's possible to export the complete information (all interfaces) in a csv format, filtering for unused interfaces needs to be done outside of PRTG. You can either use the Historic Data tab of the device, or the Setup > API > Historic Data page to export the information.

If you want to perform the export on a regular base, you can use reports and choose the option Include CSV files only (available for templates with data tables) option.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 17, 2017 1:08:43 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

thanks for help but I stuck selecting the sensors for the Report. Let me explain what I am trying to accomplish with the Report: The device is a modular Switch with around 120 Ports. That particular Switch will be exchanged in near future. Over the years, some ports have a cable attached where on the other end is no device connected. So filtering all ports with no traffic would help finding the orphaned ports and could be cleaned up.

I was able to retrieve data with a URL creating a csv with historic data like this: http://<host>/api/historicdata.csv?id=2040&avg=0&sdate=2017-11-18-14-00-00&edate=2017-11-18-15-00-00 That would be fine, but it is always just for one port.

Is there another way to to gather data from all ports? The filtering could be done in Excel afterwards, that would be sufficient enough.

Thanks, Markus

Created on Nov 17, 2017 3:12:14 PM

Votes:

Hello MMax,

Exporting the historic data indeed only works on sensor level and it's just possible to export the data for one sensor at a time within the current version of PRTG Network Monitor. This could be done with a script which performs the API request for each sensor ID of every traffic sensor in PRTG.

The easiest way might be to open the device in PRTG and to take a look at the small graphs of each sensor. If there is no traffic displayed, it's much likely that the port is not in use.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 20, 2017 8:30:33 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

ok - well, I have a different managemnt solution for that Task available (HPE IMC) where I found a prebuild Report which delivers a almost perfect dump of unused Ports - got it! Thanks for help and sorry for confusion.

Markus

Created on Nov 23, 2017 6:17:21 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.