What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sflow sensor shows data while sflow protocols isn't configured on my Juniper ex3300

Votes:

Hello everyone,

While adding sflow sensor to prtg server, I have noticed that sflow started showing data before I even configure it on Juniper ex3300 switch. Can anyone please explain this behavior ??

Regards,

data juniper sflow

Created on Nov 21, 2017 7:58:50 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Alaa,

I assume that you did not configure the SenderIP within the Settings tab of the sFlow sensor (see this section within the sensor's manual page). If you did not enter the IP address of the targeted device, the sensor will gather each sFlow data from your network and not from one particular device.

Sebastian

Created on Nov 24, 2017 8:09:17 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello Alaa,

Thank you very much for your knowledge base post.

Can you upload a screenshot of the sensor's "Overview" tab to allow us to better comprehend the situation?

Thank you very much in advance.
Sebastian

Created on Nov 21, 2017 1:48:24 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here is the screenshot.

Created on Nov 22, 2017 6:19:23 AM

Last change on Nov 22, 2017 10:11:21 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Alaa,

Thank you very much for your response.

Would you please elaborate the issue precisely? The sensor looks unusual to me. Do I understand you correctly, that you add the sFlow sensor to PRTG before configuring sFlow on the Juniper device?

Thank you very much for your clarification.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Nov 22, 2017 7:42:39 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, I added sflow sensor without configuring sflow on juniper device. Is this output wrong? I mean does it show any data about my switch ??

Created on Nov 23, 2017 6:41:37 AM

Votes:

I also check top talkers list and it gave IPs in my network, if I didn't enable sflow on my switch how did the sensor get these data???

Created on Nov 23, 2017 6:50:53 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Alaa,

I assume that you did not configure the SenderIP within the Settings tab of the sFlow sensor (see this section within the sensor's manual page). If you did not enter the IP address of the targeted device, the sensor will gather each sFlow data from your network and not from one particular device.

Sebastian

Created on Nov 24, 2017 8:09:17 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I didn't configure the senderIP. Thanks a lot.

Created on Nov 28, 2017 6:25:18 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.