New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

New UI - how to go back?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hello Paessler Support

We just installed 17.4.35.3326+ and everything looks different. Big suprise as I could not find any word about it in the release notes... Why that?

Is there a way to switch back to the old interface? It's not that I don't like the new one, but we have "customized views" which don't fit with the new UI.

Thanks

gui web-interface webgui

Created on Nov 21, 2017 12:17:21 PM by  MarcelE (0) 2

28 Replies

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Marcel,

While the release was withdrawn, it was still available via auto update for quite some time.
Within the release notes, it said something like this:

WEBGUI

Completely revised and updated look & feel of the PRTG Webinterface. This modern interface comes with a cleaner look and many improvements the usability. You will find what you need more easily!

This should also have been stated within the auto update interface. We didn't sneak that one in ;)
As for reverting to the old webinterface - that's not possible as we added some major changes to both the javascript and CSS libraries, which are just not compatible to the old interface.

What are those customized views and where did you put them? :)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 22, 2017 7:13:49 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 22, 2017 7:14:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Stephan

Thanks for your response. PRTG made me a lot of troubles yesterday....

Guess you have to check the auto update process.

Latest Message from Auto-Update [22.11.2017 08:30:44] Version 17.4.33.3283 has been downloaded and is ready for installation. Please visit Setup|Autoupdate to initiate the installation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Downloaded Version 17.4.35.3326 NEW!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Update does not disappear once PRTG downloaded it. And there is still no word about the new UI which gets installed. We use the stable channel btw.

Anyway, what's my special view? In fact it's just a map which shows sensors with state "down" and "warning". Not a big thing, but the new UI wasted a LOT of space. Instead of at least 11 sensors, I was able to see only 3 or 4 sensors without scrolling.

But even worse was that PRTG didn't work as it should. We had a lot of timeouts, scripting errors... on the new UI. 7000 out of 10'000 sensor had state "unknown", even Ping sensors didnt work.

So what to do? Restore our core from backup and manually downgrade all 7 remote probes. Great!

Regards Marcel

Created on Nov 22, 2017 8:06:11 AM by  MarcelE (0) 2

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Marcel,

As mentioned, the update was withdrawn, hence there are no publicly available release notes for it, even so in PRTG. We're aware of the whitespace problem, we'll address this with the December release.
PRTG is simply not aware of the release notes.

For an installation that big, it's normal to state some (in your case many) unknown sensors, as their initial scan has not been done yet, i.e. PRTG has no current values to display. This should resolve itself after some time. Or are the sensors still in an unknown state?

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 22, 2017 8:19:11 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Stephan

Let's switch to German :-)

Ich weiss, dass das Update zurückgezogen wurde. Auto Update lässt mich aber nur die zurückgezogene Version installieren da es die aktuellste ist. Wenn das Update mal heruntergeladen wurde, verschwindet es nicht aus dem Auto Update. Sogar die Release Notes sind noch mit "RELEASE NOTES FOR VERSION: 17.4.35.3326" beschriftet. Es taucht nur nichts dazu auf...

Die Notes habe ich von meiner aktuellen Version bis zum neusten Eintrag gelesen. Was ich nicht gemacht habe, ist der letzte Eintrag in den Notes mit der zu installieren vergleichen. Man geht davon aus dass das so stimmt. In Zukunft prüfe ich das aber.

Ich bin vermutlich auch nicht der einzige mit dem Problem. Daher wäre eine Info in den Release Notes wirklich wünschenswert.

Zu den Sensoren im Status "unknown": Das ist mir bekannt. Der Status blieb aber über 30 Minuten unverändert. Ein manuelles "Check now" auf einem Ping Sensor hat nichts bewirkt. Darum restore.

Aktuell laufen wir wieder mit 17.3.33.2830+.

Created on Nov 22, 2017 8:34:17 AM by  MarcelE (0) 2

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Marcel,

Ja, das ist alles etwas "unglücklich". Normalerweise stehen die Release Notes unten darunter. Bisher haben wir noch kein Update zurückgezogen, aber da war ein Bug im SNMP drin, an dem wir noch arbeiten. Wir bringen wahrscheinlich heute oder im Laufe der Woche eine aktualisierte Version.

Das mit den grauen Ping-Sensoren lässt sich allerdings ohne Logs nicht wirklich erklären. Lass uns bitte wissen, wenn es mit dem (nachgereichten) Update immernoch zu solchen Problemen kommt.

Grüße,
Stephan, Tech Support Team

Created on Nov 22, 2017 9:06:19 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

So I was one of those caught unaware, as I got back from the holidays and found most of the sensors in an "unknown" state. In the past, a simple server reboot or restart of PRTG would've fixed it, but I decided to check the auto update screen and thought I was killing 2 birds with 1 stone. It turns out I just shot myself in the foot with the new UI.

I don't see the question answered, but IS THERE A WAY TO REVERT TO THE OLD UI!!!! With nearly a thousand sensors, what could be easily scanned by a few mouse scrolls and very little time now takes much more work with lots of delays waiting for the UI to refresh! I simply don't understand why software vendors take perfectly good working UIs and force these "modern" simplified UIs that waste space and present less useful info to users. If we had wanted to use a smartphone interface, we wouldn't be using a PC to monitor our networks! We're in the process of migrating away from Atlassian exactly because of this type of change and I would hate to see us having to find another product to replace PRTG as well! In short, leave what was working alone and give the user an option to switch if they wish. Today had been a good start for a Monday until now.

KuoH

Created on Nov 27, 2017 2:44:04 PM by  kuoh (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Completely agree. New modern gui is wasting space on display, all components are larger. The device tree fitted in one page, now two pages. I will not use "tablet" optimized gui. VOTE FOR OLD space effective gui.

Martin

Created on Nov 28, 2017 9:44:43 AM by  Martin R (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Kuoh,

I'm sorry that the update has caused you more trouble than benefit so far.

Could you please update to the latest version released yesterday (17.4.35.3441) - it should fix most of the unknown sensors, since the previous update (which was withdrawn, as mentioned in my earlier posts) contained a bug in the SNMP framework.

We're currently gathering feedback from our customers to polish the interface further and work on some quirks that were not that present when we reviewed it in-house.

If you still like to revert to the previous PRTG version, your old installer can be used.
It can be found in the following folder:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive

Simply install it over your existing installation, monitoring data and configuration will be preserved. Note that PRTG might reboot without further notice. Note that remote probes and failover nodes need to be downgraded manually using either the same installer or the probe installer, located at

• C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\public

Additionally, due to a tree version update, it's also necessery to restore the previous configuration.
If you run into any troubles for the process, please drop us a mail via support@paessler.com with a reference to this very thread.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 28, 2017 10:04:58 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 29, 2017 9:04:02 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Stephan,

Thanks for the information for downgrading to the previous version, however the requirement for downgrading remote probes and restoring previous configurations makes that another difficult task. We should have an option to disable automatic remote probe updates or there should be a better rollback method.

Hopefully your developers will consider adding the option to allow both the old and new GUIs to coexist or get as much information as possible back on the display of the new version. In these days where even small monitors have high resolutions and large 4K+ monitors are relatively cheap, we need more information on the screen, not less! I would venture to guess that most PRTG users are primarily using a PC to monitor our networks and the entire point of using PRTG is to improve efficiency. When you make changes which noticeably decrease that efficiency, it significantly decreases the usefulness and value of your product.

KuoH

Created on Nov 28, 2017 4:55:39 PM by  kuoh (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi KuoH,

Thanks for your constructive feedback. Old and new webui are not able to coexist as they heavily rely on various javascript classes that have been vastly changed, as well as the code of the core behind it. It's simply not compatible anymore.

Did you already take a look at Grafana and its PRTG Plugin? We're using it in-house as well and it's working great for our dashboards. We opted for it since we need a lot of other data (apart from PRTG) displayed and it's customizable with relatively low effort and moderate learning curve.
It also allows for custom font sizes, interactive graphs, etc. Maybe you could give it a shot? :)

Kind regards,

Created on Nov 29, 2017 9:42:00 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi,

I totally agree with the others regarding the space wasting new UI. Even today big monitors with high resolution are standard, I tend not to use applications in full screen. I like to have some applications in smaller windows on screen and bring them into foreground by clinking in a visible part. With the new UI I see mostly white space on my preferred sized PRTG window and missing information visible in the old UI.

An other step back for me the the new "Devices" menu. I am missing to navigate to t device via Devices->Group View->Probe-X->.... This was mostly the easiest way for me to go to a specific group in my device tree. Using the search is not a real option as you need to know ;-) , what you are looking for and if it is found you have to locate it within the white space cluttered search result.

I am curious about your upcoming improvements for the new UI.

Michael

Created on Nov 29, 2017 11:58:07 AM by  MichaelK (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

So I recovered my previous version to test server. It's sooo big difference, in the old version can see much more - in device tree, in device sensors, everything is so nicely small (row high). In device sensors have problem to select the sensor with mouse, because when am rolling down, the sensors are expanding. The paused sensors are expanding much more. The overall sensor list is not more compact, I can see only 4 sensors, in the old version 18 sensors and the view cannot be changed.

And the biggest difference is speed. The new version is sooooo slow. Old version is loading the page up to 1s. And the new? I am happy when the same page is loaded in 5s, because sometimes it takes up to 10seconds. Please implement the old gui again. Have used the free version 2 years, now upgraded to paid version .... I am thing to use the "30 day money back guarantee"

Martin

Created on Dec 5, 2017 9:31:30 AM by  Martin R (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Martin,

We've increased the speed in the latest stable RC, that will fix most of the annoyances of the webinterface. Maybe you want to take a look at it again when we polished the new interface? ;)

Kind regards,

Created on Dec 5, 2017 9:57:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 5, 2017 3:29:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Unless you can get the new UI to display the same amount of information as before with the same performance, you've not fixed the most impactful annoyance. The new UI makes everything much more of a chore to view and access individual sensors. I used to be able to look at 10+ sensors for a device and tell at a glance whether the warning or error is something that needs attention. Now, I have to scroll for what seems like forever to find the device, expand the grouped sensor, then scroll some more to find the sensor I want, then click on the sensor for details. In the old view I could see that disks D & E are low on space but have been for awhile, however C is fine so this is not an immediate issue or click directly into a sensor that might need more attention. I could simply scroll down the list in the main device view and get a good feel for the overall network health in just a few seconds. It's not so simple now.

While rolling back to the previous version is a solution, its not a valid long term solution, especially if we're paying for updates and support. The new view might be usable for admins with relatively few devices and sensors or who have never known what the previous version was capable of. As for the rest of us old timers with large infrastructures, it represents a great step backward and tremendous loss of usability and efficiency. In short, you guys fixed what wasn't broken and made it worse.

KuoH

Created on Dec 6, 2017 11:30:15 PM by  kuoh (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I can only repeat myself at this point, we're working on making the interface more responsive and display information in a more condensed manner, so that a similar amount can be displayed.

I understand your frustration with the interface, rest assured that we're trying hard to improve this.

Kind regards,

Created on Dec 7, 2017 8:58:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 7, 2017 8:58:50 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I absolutely love PRTG but with the current release I'm unhappy. Normally I try to get used to layout changes even if I don't like them but that doesn't work here for me. In my opinion about everything was better with the old layout and I wish it would be reverted completely.

Considering I constantly had to scroll up and down which was very annoying caused by the big empty areas everywhere I decided to at least try to do something against it.
I'm sharing it here with you, maybe that helps, I did some changes to styles_custom_v2.css within C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\css\. Tested on bigger screens (1920x1080 and up) with version 17.4.36.3595. Still far from the old UI but at least some improvement in my opinion.

These are the additions to styles_custom_v2.css including comments:

/* More space on the devices view by completely hiding unnecessary right column */
.panel.col-panel.fix-panel.map-panel
{display: none;}

/* Save more space in the main panel */
.tree-wrapper{
	padding: 0 5px 5px 5px;
}
.tab-container{
	padding: 0 0 0 0;
}
#main {
    padding: 18px 5px 5px 5px;
}
.panel.col-panel.stretch-panel.tree-panel{
	padding-right: 30px !important;
}
.sitecaption{
	margin: 0 0 0 0;
}

/* Even after removing the right column there are still two more options to add sensors on the devices page so this is unnecessary waste of space */
.addSensorButton
{display: none;}

/* remove huge areas of white space in tables to reduce scrolling */
form .table tbody tr td, .table tbody tr td
{padding: 3px 3px 3px 3px;}

/* Make "Add Sensor" dialog more eye friendly and easier to read by enhancing low contrast areas */
.addsensor_filterbutton {
    color: #ffffff;
}
.addsensor_filterheader {
    color: #ffffff;
}
.addsensor_sensordescription{
	color: #000000 !important;
}
.add-sensor-help-text{
	color: #808282 !important;
}
#main.add-sensor-main-container.step-2 .add-search-wrapper{
}
#main.add-sensor-main-container.step-2 h2{
}

/* Improve Sensor view for less scrolling */
.responsiveobjectoverview_panel1 {
    width: 500px;
}
#overview_sensor .responsiveobjectoverview_panelA {
	padding-right: 5px !important;
}
.clear.table-wrapper.prtg-plugin-initialized{
	display: none; /* Hide similar sensors since I don't use that feature and it's not automatically hidden */
}
.col-panel {
    flex-direction: row;
}
.responsiveobjectoverview_panel2 {
    width: calc(100% - 900px);
    padding-left: 5px;
}
.table-wrapper {
	margin-top: 0px;
}
/* End */

Hope that helps some of you!

Created on Dec 30, 2017 12:42:25 PM by  SECOIT GmbH (0) 1

Last change on Jan 3, 2018 7:00:43 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I have also been a big supporter of PRTG in our organisation, and now have an unlimited licence. I use PIs to run my display screens, and have a custom table that removes the graph column. This now shows as a narrow table unless there are alerts that are shown in it. This works ok in IE but surprisingly has the same issue in Chrome, which was one of suggested browsers. The Map designed therefore no longer replicates the display on the screen. Even the standard map tables no longer fill the screen properly.

Overall I am very dis-satisfied with the new interface and just thankful that the Enterprise console hasn't had the same 'Windows 10' approach (except where it uses the underlying HTML views). To me PRTG has two elements - 1) the technical management and 2) the public face of the maps and to an extent notifications. I welcome providing us the features to allow the public elements to fit in with the current boxy style of other systems, however for the technical management - I have 10,000 sensors - I want a no nonsense, compact interface and in particular for it to perform well. I can't believe how large the screens have now become and the amount of scrolling. I'm now having to apologise to the teams members who were using the web interface and push them to the Enterprise console, which isn't as easy to set up in our VDI environment.

I'm hoping that Paessler have realised their mistake in releasing this before it was ready and are rapidly trying to resolve the serious issues in this design.

Regards

Robin

Created on Jan 13, 2018 10:07:32 PM by  RobinStrata (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I understand that you're frustrated about the new interface, but rest assured that we're doing our best to respect the wishes from our customers, including getting more information back into the interface. Please bear with us on this one.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 15, 2018 8:14:13 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Stephan,

I too want to use this forum to express that I am not a fan of the new user interface also. I know you've stated that there was some significant changes "under the hood" which prevents PRTG from offering a "classic mode". However if you were able to provide that layout (as an option) in the near future, I'm sure a portion of us would appreciate it. The old user interface was really easy to be able to gauge the state of devices with a simple glance. It was also compact and less cumbersome (in my opinion). My team and I have resorted to using the PRTG enterprise app as it has the "classic layout" feel.

Adrian

Created on Feb 11, 2018 10:41:19 PM by  adrian-musket (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Adrian,

Rest assured that we'll continue to improve the webinterface. And no, we'll make no efforts to get the old interface back as a classic mode - it'll stay like this until the next facelift. We'll also introduce a new app called PRTG Desktop in the upcoming weeks, which will be the EC's successor. Let us know what you think about it once it's released :)

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 12, 2018 7:23:28 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

+1 to a new GUI opponent. I don't now, who is the customers that wants such interface. I am your customer and I want to work with old good classic GUI.

I hope You pay attention on this problem.

With best regards, Oleg Vorodin, IT network architect

Created on Feb 17, 2018 11:56:08 AM by  Oleg Vorodin (100) 2 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Oleg,

We'll continue to improve the new webinterface, but there really will be no comeback of the old GUI.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support

Created on Feb 19, 2018 8:19:11 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

New UI is a terrible was of screen space. I echo the comments of so many previous users. These tools are supposed to make our jobs easier - not harder. Not seeing any advantages of the new UI from a USER PERSPECTIVE. While there may have been lots of reasons to update the UI for engineering structural and support reasons, I'm not seeing any benefit to the customer here.

Created on Mar 5, 2018 11:52:19 AM by  mshevenell (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We have new releases coming out to continue to improve the UI. Please bear with us as we are focused on keeping PRTG up to date with industry styling similar to other web based utilities. If you have any constructive feedback for our devs, we welcome it. Please forward it along with screenshots to support@paessler.com.

Thanks!

Benjamin Day Technical Support

Created on Mar 6, 2018 4:15:40 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I can see there is now a little more on the screen, however then I find that someone has rebuilt the Windows WMI service add sensor screen. This has resulted in:

1) no longer sorts by running services by clicking on the status (I found you can search for 'running' to do this now) 2) even a reasonable amount of windows services requires 4 pages that adds yet more clicking 3) if I'm looking at the service name (left hand side) I can't see the status at the same time (without scrolling) - even if I double screen or change the zoom to much less 4) There looks to have been a lack of unit testing as it only adds what is on the current page, so today I had to go through the process three times to add services that were inconveniently not all grouped in the same area of the alphabet.

This brings back memories of the ill-fated Backup Exec changes. Please Paessler, get this sorted and quickly - I can't keep making excuses for you in my organisation.

Created on Mar 6, 2018 10:16:38 AM by  RobinStrata (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Like a petition...

This tool is for IT professionals, a lot of data must be recognizable within seconds on the screen. Usability is not just a word for the management. The UI is for us, not for NON-IT management people. please consider that when you alter it.

thanks

Created on Mar 8, 2018 9:51:20 AM by  Thomas Umbricht (2,820) 2 3

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Indeed this is like a petition.

Yesterday I updated our server to 18.2.39.1661. we don't update very regular, so the new web layout was new to us. Experiences from the past show that Paessler is strongly convinced of their own ideas and can sometimes stubbornly hold on to them. Understandable, but in some cases, as in this one, that attitude is not correct.

The PRTG devices overview is meant for showing as much information as possible without having to scroll endlessly to go through a group of 30 devices, no matter if that means that you follow global styling trends of web based applications. The map page on our central monitoring screen has the same quality decline, about half the amount of lines as before the update are shown. I always try to be tolerant in judging changes as new releases of enterprise software are introduced, even when in my opinion some changes don't make things better. But the current layout of the important PRTG webpages is completely pointless. Regarding to the small number of comments on this, don't forget that most admins don't take the time and effort to complain about unwanted changes.

Created on Apr 17, 2018 9:16:52 AM by  Han (0)

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

We understand your concerns. We are still releasing updated and fixes, please bear with us.

Created on Apr 17, 2018 7:45:55 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.