What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Layer-2 maps integrated in PRTG

Votes:

Hi there,

please integrate the feature of Layer-2 maps into PRTG.

Two projects in sequence, two customers with huge networks and needs of layer-2 maps.

Both had several problems with UVexplorer till server-crash/kernel-power, buggy maps and other "not funny things". In one case we moved UV to a separate VM, then the server-crash looks like away (in best case, just in testing).

-> UVexplorer is no alternative tool for me in future.

My minds: - PRTG knows all devices. - PRTG knows all credentials. - PRTG uses SNMP access for all necessary data to generate Layer-2 maps

Combining all these my result is: best solution will be Layer-2 maps built by PRTG. It would be ok, to do this as background job and wait "5 minutes", realtime processing would be nice, but not strongly necessary, components are not changing every 2minutes. Maybe to define a job for scheduler to generate the maps, also ok. But please do it :D

Avoids costs & effort for 3rd party tools (maybe without business-support), avoid trouble with api and release changes, avoid trouble with PRTG depending on these 3rd party tools.

I clearly prefer "to trust PRTG" instead of troubleshooting and fixing for any additional tool Looking to competitors the feature will be definitely a milestone ahead!

So please "Go for it!"

Best regards, Jürgen

layer-2 maps not-uvexplorer

Created on Nov 23, 2017 12:17:54 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Jürgen,

We are already in very close contact with you. PRTG does not work on Layer 2 at all at the moment, this information is not yet gathered and therefore not integrated. We've got this on our wish list and I'll forward your request accordingly.

As a side note: For sure that's a returning request so I understand your and your customers needs, we cannot give you any update about the status at the moment and we have had a closer view on possible integrations and will not stop to investigate other solutions in the future.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 23, 2017 7:47:59 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.