What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Netflow / Top Destination IP: Extension for Countries?

Votes:

Hi,

we just defined a Netflow V9 with Top Desitination IP and DNS lookup.

What our customer is missing: to show which country is the destination ip/dns?

Like an additional RIPE lookup after DNS lookup.

The customer migrates from competitor to PRTG and sure will be happy to use this feature also in future with PRTG ;-)

I thougt also about a possible workaround: ip/dns write to file and processing with REST API sensor connecting to RIPE search, but then i found some very simple samples about such lookups -> much more better to add this into existing Top Destination IP of PRTG.

Best regards, Jürgen

country lookups netflow ripe

Created on Nov 23, 2017 2:06:52 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Jürgen,

Generally a nice idea. I'll ask the devs for a rough estimate how complex this would be. If it would require a more complex change, then chances won't be that high I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 24, 2017 3:01:50 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

thanks for your Reply. As we can see on mulitple samples for every programming language - incl. Restful API offered by RIPE.net - it´s only a few lines of Code (maybe copy&paste?) to add this, simplified said.

Of Course it has to be tested etc. but it´s not rocket sience :D

Thanks & best regards, Jürgen

Created on Nov 27, 2017 1:20:50 PM

Votes:

Hello Jürgen,

The problem will most likely be that there's most likely a limitation about how many requests RIPE's API will handle, so in the end it would require some service that costs money to work reliably, so we won't follow down that road and besides that the overall amount of similar requests was not that high so far I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 28, 2017 11:04:19 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.