What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can't add HTTP sensor for Dell Remote Access Controller 8

Votes:

I've been trying to add an HTTP sensor for all the Drac cards in my company's PRTG system, and PRTG isn't picking it up when I auto-discover for the sensor.

when I manually try to add the "HTTP" sensor it gives me an error message stating: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found.

For all of the older DRAC cards in my company's system the "Dell Remote Access controller 6" the HTTP sensor is automatically picked up when I auto discover for it in PRTG. Is the newer version of the DRAC cards Capable of supporting the the HTTP monitoring sensor? Is there anything special I have to do in the settings to enable the HTTP sensor in PRTG?

If anyone could help me it would be great!

custom-sensor http https sensor

Created on Nov 28, 2017 7:36:16 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The "404"-error indicates that the webserver or the default site displayed on the device is not giving anything back than a not found. Please manually connect via a webbrowser to the device and check if you get the same error. Unfortunately, this isn't an issue of PRTG as the device clearly gives back a 404 on a HTTP connection. Maybe the set URL is not valid in the sensor settings?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 29, 2017 9:03:08 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Dariusz for the quick response, I manually connected to the browser for the DRAC and it worked fine I've tried comparing configuration settings with the other DRAC cards that have the HTTPS sensor in PRTG and I just can't figure out why its giving me an error. I even tried putting the direct URL link for the webserver in the URL field for the sensor and it still didn't work.

Created on Nov 29, 2017 6:49:43 PM

Votes:

It seems like the problem is that the login page does load fine on the browser but it returns an HTTP 404 code while it wait for credentials to be entered apparently. Getting the 404 code means the webserver is actually able to reply to the request and it is just letting you know that the page is not found, but on the interface you see the page prompting for credentials. ​ So the webpage does load but the actual code it returns is 404 and the sensor in PRTG is set to display an error when it receives 4XX and 5XX codes. Unfortunately this is hard coded in the sensor and it is not possible to edit that lookup file on the HTTP sensor to change the sensor state based on the code. Otherwise we could change that a 404 would show the sensor as up.

To know for sure, please try the following:

1) Access the page on the browser of your PRTG Probe/server 2) Open the Developing tools (by pressing F12) 3) Switch to the Network tab there 4) Try to open the affected URL 5) Is there an error message displayed? ​ Another easier way would be to open the CMD from the PRTG server/probe machine and type this ​ curl -i https://idracIPaddress/login.html ​ The very next line is the HTTP response code. If the code is 404 then we know that this is what the sensor will also receive. And therefore be set to down.

Created on Sep 20, 2023 6:58:56 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.