What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I need to add a sensor to monitor Windows Handles

Votes:

We have the need to monitor the HANDLES that are displayed under taskmgr. We have a couple of databases that want to periodically open 35000 handles, and needless to say, the systems take exception to this.

I was unable to see a sensor for this, and am not much of a programmer...could you lead me in the right direction about how to accomplish this ?

customize handles prtg sensor

Created on Aug 11, 2010 8:35:59 PM

Last change on Aug 12, 2010 9:19:34 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Under version 8 process sensors will also include handles. In version 7 you can try using the following custom WQL query:

SELECT HandleCount FROM Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process WHERE Name ='executablename' OR Name LIKE 'executablename#%'

Created on Aug 12, 2010 1:21:36 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Not really sure what you mean by this.... I dont see a custom WQL query sensor listed as a base to start from ? additionally, while the failure we had was strictly one particular executable name, we did have a different box have a similar issue, ( the handles went wayyyyy up) but it was a different executable... so we actually need to monitor TOTAL handles on a given box, looking for some high number , say 25,000 before we see an alarm...

once we see that, we could start digging and from there isolate the process that is the issue...

Created on Aug 12, 2010 1:55:31 PM

Votes:

select HandleCount from Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process where name='_Total'

should do the trick.

Created on Aug 17, 2010 12:08:06 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Can you please explain this more fully? We had our handle count again go up to 32000, taking the database machine effectively offline. I need to build this sensor and have the limit set at around 15,000 or so.

Can you walk me through this, including what fields are the ones I need to input ? Thanks

Created on Sep 28, 2010 2:32:04 PM

Votes:

Dear Rick,

as with PRTG 8 now being release, the easiest way would be to upgrade to PRTG 8 and use a new WMI Process Sensor, as this one is able to monitor for Handles in PRTG 8. You could then set a Threshold Trigger on the Handles-Channel of said sensor.

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 29, 2010 10:42:29 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.